Monday, August 12, 2024

Garden 2024 Update #12

Mid August is also mid season for harvesting & canning. I've been busy with a lot of both, from my own garden & the local farmer's market for the freshest possible goodness. 😍 Canned so far this season have been garlic dills, bread & butter pickles, peach sauce, blueberry sauce, fruit syrups, peaches & pickled carrots.

Well then, let's go on a walk through the garden:



I couldn't be more delighted with this year's blackberry yield so far. 
This is year 3 and so far it's produced 1.5 pounds of berries. 
By comparison, last year it produced a handful. Literally 😂 
Looking forward to enough for a lovely, late summer blackberry pie. 

Lemon Balm on the left, was growing in a pot. 
The one one the right, I planted from seed last year, indoor greenhouse overwintered, 
then planted in the raised bed in the spring. If plants could talk? 
The yellowing one on the left would say "I'll have what he's having!" 😀

My Scarlet Runner beans never fruited this year but they did provide this lovely, living decor 
over the arch trellis. Over the last few seasons this trellis has had pumpkins, squash & beans.  
Next year, I'm looking forward to trying something different.  

Some days the harvest looks like this. 
Tomatoes, sweet roasting peppers, jalapenos, pickling dills and some chamomile flowers. 

I counted and tried to be accurate and I *think* there are 46 jalapenos here on these 12 plants. 
I've already harvested a handful so that's a pretty good return. I'm seed saving this year so, 
next year, Lord willing, the entire bed of peppers will be 100% homegrown. 

I finally got my act together (mostly) and tidied up the dining room canning shelf. 
I'm going to add another shelf to divide the section 2nd from the top. 
(More space for jams, jellies and sauces!)
Home grown & home canned food is not only better for you, it's also really pretty sitting there on 
your pandemic era lockdown project #436 "canned food shelves" mostly with lumber you had on hand. 😁 

My new Hibiscus Mars Madness bloomed today. 
Flowers will be used for tea blends. 


Concord grapes and sweet potatoes are both doing really well this year. The grapes will be 
generously pruned this fall and the grow bags for the sweet potatoes were just a test. 
I may be replacing them with a permanent raised bed this fall or next spring. 

First time Elderberry grower. I have 2 plants, and they're both doing amazing.

Terracotta Yarrow early blooms. So adorable. 💗


Thanks for stopping by and going on a pictorial trip through the garden. I hope it encourages you to use whatever space you have to grow what you love! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.
Feel free to share your thoughts.