Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Garden 2024 Update #11

With the end of July this brings us into mid-season for my growing area here in 6a. All of August, September and roughly half of October are left until our last frost date. It almost seems hard to believe we're already at the mid-season point but so far the garden has been mostly successful.  

Here's how things are shaping mid-season:


A common sight first thing in the morning. 
As I always say, it was really nice of me to buy an inflatable hot tub for my cats. 😂

Some of this year's potato harvest went toward one of my favorite freeze dried items: instant potatoes. Such a great way to put up food for long term or even short term.  
I make my mashed potatoes (skins on) with just milk, then freeze dry.  
These three small trays were just over 6 pounds and it all fits into a quart jar. Wild, eh? 😄 
To make mashed potatoes, I add 1/2 cup boiling water to just 3 tablespoons of mashed potato powder, a little butter & salt and pepper.   Mix well and let sit for 2-3 minutes to fully redydrate.


Last week's Mutant Tomato (has been seriously upstaged)


My single surviving cucumber vine is still producing incredibly well.  


This is part 1 of a 2 part experiment.  The old wives tales tell us you cannot clip off strawberry runners and plant them, you have to leave them attached to the mother plant and allow them to root naturally where they are.  Well, that's part 2 down below.  I clipped all of these off about 2 weeks ago and they're doing just fine so far.


My landscaping staples were far too long for this, so I improvised and used the handle ends of clothes pins to pin the runners into place inside the little pots. 


My sweet potatoes had really been stuggling until about 2 weeks ago when they finally starting taking off. I can only guess that it has something to do with the heat & humidity, which we've had in abundance over the last few weeks.  So far they're doing better than sweet potatoes have ever done in my garden so I'm happy with these results so far. 


Last year this Honey Crisp had 2 apples.  This year it has 10! 


In this area of the garden there are elderberries, rhubarb, hazelnuts, blackberries, lilacs, dill, cilantro, basil, lemon balm, butternut squash, potatoes, carrots, raspberries and hibiscus.  My goal in turning my wee piece of property into a thriving Food Forest means using every available space for growing something edible, medicinal, herbal, or all of the above.  



This Musk Mallow grows wile alongside the garage in full shade all day. 
It's not only beautiful, it attracts loads of bees and it's beneficial for a variety of medicinal uses.  


My first ripe Pink Ponderosa tomato this year.  


I thought last week's Mutant Tomato was wild, but it's got nuthin' on this week's specimen.


My raised bed runneth over. With carrots that surround the peppers. 💖


Ed says, he approves.  😁

Thanks for stopping by and taking a stroll through the garden with me. I hope this encourages you to get out there and grow your own as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.
Feel free to share your thoughts.