Monday, June 10, 2024

Garden 2024 Update #7

It's been rainy and windy and just overall ugly weather the last few weeks.  So much so that sadly I've lost half of my pickling cucumbers to swampy, wet soil.  I'm not clear on what's happened but the spot I've successfully grown cucumbers in for years now, has turnd into literal swampland with about an inch of standing water, when I dig down 6 inches or so. 

I've replaced the ones I've lost and planted them into 5 gallon grow bags, so we'll see how my cucumber harvest pans out this year. Garlic dills, sweet relish and bread and butter pickles are a must around here, so hopefully I can harvest enough for those 3 types.  

Some current pics of the garden:

Garlic scapes ready for harvesting, drying, and turning into garlic powder


Cherry Tomatoes



Sweet Red Roasting Peppers



The new meets the old green bean vines.  
A new variety for me this year sent to me by my sister, and they're called Scarlet Runner beans. 
Poor germination rate, and out of only 12 vines, only half have survived.  
Of those that have survived, they're doing fantastic!    




Not a view I share often, but after dark, my garden looks quite magical. 
I have a somewhat weird fascination with outdoor accent lighting 😊 
so solar lights are the way to go, if you only have one exterior outlet. 



Dutch Clover filling in nicely around all the rubber pavers.



Last year I had a grand total of 2 Honey Crisp apples on my new tree.  
This year I have a grand total of 6, so things are looking up, for sure! 

As always, I hope you're blessed and encouraged to start your own back yard food forest! 
Please feel welcome to leave a comment with any gardening questions you might have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.
Feel free to share your thoughts.