Sunday, October 22, 2017

Roasted Veggie Soup

Today's kitchen challenge was a recipe I came across that just looked rather boring and bland, so I decided to kick things up a bit. I'm sure glad I did! I had some beets that needed attention right away and because almost no one in my family besides me likes beets, I needed a way to incorporate them without anyone going "eww, beets?". It almost worked. The literal PINK soup gave it away but the taste was a hit with everyone, and that made me very happy.

INGREDIENTS:

2 medium sized baking potatoes, scrubbed and chopped
2 c. diced, peeled beets (about 6 medium sized beets)
2 carrots sliced 1/2 inch thick
1 medium sized onion, peeled and chopped
6 cloves garlic
4 T. olive oil
2 t. Mrs. Dash Original Blend
1/4 t. smoked paprika
1/2 t. pepper
1/2 t. NoSalt
2 stalks celery, chopped
4 c. no salt added or reduced sodium chicken stock
2 c. half & half cream

Prepare all your veggies (except the celery) and set aside in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl wish together oil and all the seasonings. Pour over veggie mixture and toss to make sure all veggies are coated evenly. Pour veggies onto a parchment lined baking sheet and roast in the oven at 400 for 1 hour. Turn after 30 minutes for even roasting.

Place the chicken stock and celery in a large pot and once the veggies are done in the oven, toss them in and bring to a quick boil over medium high heat. Reduce to low and simmer for 45 minutes to one hour, until veggies are very tender. You can mash with a potato masher, or blend in a blender or use an immersion blender (I find my immersion blender works best) to chop the veggies into a rich, creamy texture.  Add the half and half and whisk well to heat through.

Serve topped with whole wheat seasoned croutons and a green salad.