Friday, October 6, 2017

I Swear, It's Totally NOT Sausage

One of my family's favorite sides at the holidays since (literally, the beginning of time?) forever, is my southern cornbread sausage stuffing. I've always made it, and always made it exactly the same way.

However, after hubby's heart attack we've done a huge 180 on the way we've been cooking/eating. If you make a sausage stuffing (or if you just love breakfast sausage) have I got a phenomenal new recipe for you that you're going to LOVE. This is a great replacement for the sausage in your stuffing and your family will never notice a difference. Or, mostly likely never notice a difference. I utterly adore pork breakfast sausage and I had this today and could literally not tell the difference.

Without delay, here it is:

Totally Not Sausage Breakfast Sausage

1 lb. lean ground turkey
1/2 t. No-salt
1/2 t. dried parsley
1/4 t. ground sage
1/4 t. ground black pepper
1/4 t. dried thyme
1/4 t. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 t. ground coriander seed

Place ground turkey and all the spices in a bowl and blend well. Use 1/4 cup to measure for sausage patties for breakfast sandwiches. Use in place of crumbled, browned sausage in gravies (biscuits and whole wheat gravy? Hello!)  or in any recipe that calls for pork breakfast sausage.