Monday, October 23, 2017

A Funny Thing Happened...

on the way to the kitchen today.

It started with looking for expert advice on eggplant (how to choose and cook) and then got sidetracked with a fabulous *sounding* recipe for roasted Brussels Sprouts, and was completely blown out of the water by a recipe for Avocado Double Chocolate Brownies. Wait. What?

After hubby suffered his heart attack 8 weeks ago, we've been determined to eat clean, eat healthy and incorporate foods into our regular diet that we've just neglected over the years either because we thought we didn't like them, or just because we really had no interest in them. After a trip to the local farmer's market this weekend and picking up some eggplant and brussels sprouts, we were determined to find tried and true recipes for both. I'm pretty sure I've hit the Mother Lode with Dani Spies site cleananddelicious.com

While we're no experts by any stretch of the imagination, we're not completely ignorant either, when it comes to clean and healthy eating since we jumped on that bandwagon a few years ago - and both lost a ton of weight between us. There is much truth to the saying "great abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym". We just did what a lot of folks do - started out great, and then fell off the wagon for a million reasons.

Well, now we're back on the wagon for life (for much different reasons), and this is one fantastic site for sure.   Tonight's dinner was Eggplant Parmesan (Made Over!),  Roasted Brussels Sprouts and dessert was the ridiculously delish Avocado Double Chocolate Brownies.

I forgot to snap a pic of the finished Eggplant Parm but here's the eggplant before it was smothered in low-sodium pasta sauce and sliced "light"  mozza.  The eggplant looked so good and smelled so good, covered in whole wheat panko and shredded parm. I wondered why I was even considering smothering it in sauce and cheese and covering up the crispy goodness.  While it did turn out quite wonderful, the next time I make it I am most certainly serving the eggplant on it's own, with a dipping sauce. Probably with an olive oil/garlic/parm tossed pasta on the side. (Just a side note, the eggplant parm recipe didn't come from the Clean and Delicious site - I created it myself after watching loads of videos on how to prepare eggplant and reading loads of recipes).

For the Brussels Sprouts, follow this recipe exactly.  Literally, do that. I forgot to snap a pic of mine, but they actually looked identical to the pic in this recipe. And they tasted ridiculously wonderful. Hubby and I both called them "veggie candy". Yes, they were that good. Everyone at the table loved them, including the teenage boy who avoids vegetables like the plague.

Lastly, this was dessert. I wasn't even looking for a dessert but it sort of jumped off the page and latched onto my face like Alien. You know? Right? Stuff happens.

The recipe for this fantastic looking and tasting dish is here, and you need to make it today. You really do. Especially if you have avocados sitting around that needed to be used *yesterday* like I did. I bought them a few days ago but we've been doing some Italian cuisine so they just didn't blend in well. This was a really good use for them.

I'll be posting my Eggplant Parmesan (Made Over!) recipe soon, so be on the lookout for that.