Saturday, April 23, 2016

DIY Yard Project Day 4

Well, the weather cooperated for me today so I took my 4 bins and made a trip to Bark Mountain! :)


It looks a lot bigger in real life, but this is the gigantic pile of recycled bark at the local yard waste depot.  It's not the pretty red stuff that comes neatly bagged (or back up your trailer and buy in bulk) but it does exactly the same thing.

Unfortunately I don't have a trailer so I will have to make at least 2-3 more trips to get as much as I need, but I was able to get almost half of the work done today.


The recycled bark is fairly light-weight so I'm going to want to double the thickness of what's here.  It still looks rather yucky, but once the lawn is in, it'll look a lot better. I'm also considering purchasing a few bags just to add a layer on top and make it look nicer.

The other project I had to work on today was leveling out and raking through the area that will be covered in sand.


Currently the sandy area stops right about where those piles of sand are by the leg of the picnic table.  I had to pull it back to uncover the edge of the weed cloth since that's where the new weed cloth will start and run all the way out to the area just at the bottom of the picture. It's roughly a 10'x10' area where the new sand will be and the picnic table right in the center of it.  It'll be roughly the same square footage as the sand box so that will take approximately 10 bags of sand.

The more I work the yard the more I go back and forth between seed and sod for the lawn.  I've done both before, and they both have pros and cons.  The big disadvantage with the sod is the cost and the labor (if you do it yourself).  The big bonus is *instant lawn*.  While grass seed is much easier to apply and far less expensive, it takes a while before it looks awesome. So I'm still undecided on that part of the job.

In any case, it's coming along exactly how I wanted it to.