Wednesday, April 20, 2016

DIY Yard Project Day 3


Today was all about Making It Ugly Before Making it Pretty :)  Well to be fair I suppose it's already ugly but this is the weed cloth that will eliminate the nasty weeds all along the fence. I didn't get all of it done today since my massage therapist wisely reminded me today to not over do it!  It's really easy to over do it while working in the yard so I'm taking her advice and doing small parts at a time then calling it a day. Tomorrow I'll be getting the recycled bark to top the weed cloth.  The rocks you can see there are just holding it all in place.  Once the bark goes on, those will be removed.

If you've never used weed cloth, I can't recommend it enough.  You can buy different kinds, some that are guaranteed to last 5 or 10 years, different thicknesses, etc.  This particular style is the 5 year and comes in a 100 foot roll. It's about 2.5 feet wide (I think, I didn't read the label) but I didn't want the beauty bark to come out that far into the yard so I rolled it out first and then cut it length-wise in half. I didn't do the nooks and crannies (like behind the lilac bush and the corner of the fence as you can see here) because those areas are easy enough to pull weeds.  I just did the majority of empty spaces.

We've used this in the fire bowl area where the sand is and it's excellent. Not a single weed or blade of grass gets through and that's exactly what you want.  Really looking forward to getting the bark tomorrow and getting this portion of the project list done.  

After this, it's on to extending the sand area of the yard. The way I see it, if you can't live ON the beach, bring the beach to you! :) Nothing like sitting outside on a warm summer day and feeling the sand between your bare toes. We're going to extend that area to all the way under the picnic table.

If it appears I'm repeating myself, it's because I am, lol.  I don't know who's reading these posts in order but here they are:

The Back Yard - the mudhole
Day 1 - tilling
Day 2 - the sandbox