Friday, September 4, 2015

Cartoony Stuff

Not too long ago someone asked me a rather odd question.  "Why do you do all that cartoony stuff?"  they asked.  By cartoony stuff, they meant these guys here. 


By "why do you do" they meant create them and use them in various formats such as baby shower, birthday party or seasonal party invitations, t-shirts, binders, dry erase boards, stationery, magnets, coffee mugs, etc. I'm honestly not sure why that question even came up, but I took it to mean that at my age, I suppose it might expected that I'd be "doing" something more grown-up with my time.  As if, "cartoony stuff" was something young people do.  I'm not sure it was meant that way but that's the way it came across.  It kind of bothered me actually so I had to think about it.  Why do I do cartoony stuff?  


Here are some of the reasons in no particular order:

1. I LOVE THEM.  I see things and in my mind I picture them in cartoon format.  Cats, dogs, birds, french fries, pickles... it doesn't matter.  In my mind, everything has a cartoon version.  Well, almost everything.  Bad/creepy things don't have a cartoon version, only fun things.

2. They make me smile.  Once I start a new design for a character I don't stop until the final product looks like the image in my head.  Once I get there, or get close... once the character starts making me smile, that's when I know.  I have some characters I've never even used on anything for commercial sale.  They just live along side the hundreds of others in a special file.  Some day, I might bring them out and share them with the world.

3. They make others smile. These little guys and gals are on thousands of products and I don't even know how many reviews I've read from customers that absolutely love them on whichever product they've purchased.  That makes me smile too!  Knowing I've brought a little fun into someone's world with my designs makes me very, very happy.

That's it.  Those are the only reasons I can come up with and perfectly okay with them. I suppose at some point in my life I'll grow up and stop doing cartoony stuff. But in all honesty, I hope not.  I'll miss them if I do.