Sunday, September 1, 2013

Can We Pick Something Else?

Okay so... right off the top, I think this is going to annoy a lot of people. I hope they'll all look past that and see what I'm actually saying, and why I'm saying it before they just let themselves be annoyed.

For as long as I can remember, Christians have used the parallel of cancer, to sin.  It's perfectly reasonable and perfectly understandable since our Holy Scriptures refer to sin as a disease that if left unchecked will grow and spread and invade and destroy you.  I do not disagree with this at all.  I also believe it's an important thing to remind the household of faith and the unbeliever as well.  Sin simply MUST be dealt with or it will be the undoing of a person. Exactly the same way a physical cancer works.

Here's my problem with that.  I know more about cancer than I ever wanted to know.  Over the last 20 years I have lost my grandpa, grand-father-in-law, step-dad, uncle and step-grand-father-in-law to cancer.  My former father-in-law, former sister-in-law have both battled cancer and so far, God willing, have come out victorious but not at all without very visible battle scars.  I am also a cancer-widow myself.  I'm also the mother of 4 little kids who are cancer orphans and I saw what cancer did to their precious little lives, and the long term result.  Lung cancer, liver cancer, bladder cancer, breast cancer, brain cancer, stomach cancer and skin cancer.  I know more about all of them than one person (not in the medical field) should ever really know.  I know more about the treatments, side affects, physical/psychological/emotional/spiritual affects, than I honestly ever thought I would.

I know, and I understand and I agree that sin should be compared to such a horrific, invasive, devastating thing such as cancer, and yet at the same time, every single time I see it phrase that way it feels like an invisible hand ripping off a deep, not-yet-fully-healed-and-never-really-will-be-while-on-this-earth scab and pouring salt into the wound.

I know it will never change, and it probably shouldn't.  We should always be as horrified at our own sin as we should be so fearful and apprehensive about cancer.  Always.  No exceptions, ever.  I know that Biblical, eternal truths should never be watered down to spare anyone's "feelings".  I'm the last person on the planet that would advocate that.

Sometimes though, I secretly wish folks would compare it to mold, or rotten teeth, or a creepy, thorny, stinky, invasive lawn weed or something less personal for me.  I'm also sure I'm not the only cancer-widow (or widower) that feels this way, we just don't like to say it out loud because it upsets people and we don't really want to do that.

No response is needed, really. Just a random thought I've had for the last 20 years that I've never really expressed before.