Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Status Report: January 2013

Well, here we are at the beginning of a brand new year. A clean slate, a fresh piece of paper, a mopped and gleaming kitchen floor :-)  Here's a status report of sorts:

Thinking... about how it never seems to matter with certain people in your world, you'll never do anything right, or enough, or fast enough, or slow enough, or whatever enough.  Some people just notice those things and feel compelled to always point them out (while neglecting to mention the things you are doing right).  Usually, this is just highly annoying but sometimes it can be helpful because we all have blind spots.  I'm still learning how to differentiate the two and it's a tough one.

Considering... the impact the lifestyle changes Kevin and I have made, and how they affect others around us. By lifestyle changes of course what I mean is our efforts to lose the extra pounds, make healthy food choices and get into better shape.  God gives us each 1 body and He expect us to take good care of it.  Kev and I both neglected that for a very long time and we're doing all we can to make that right.  On the plus side (and there's lots of plusses), our choices have been a good influence on our kids in that they are now requesting healthier dinners & snacks too.  We LOVE that.  We only wish we would have made this choice about 20 years ago.  On the negative side, I've now had two different people tell me that I talk about it too much.  I really don't even know what to say about that.  When I was learning to sew, I talked about that a lot.  When I started homeschooling, I talked about that a lot.  No one ever told me I talked too much about sewing or homeschooling but this is different somehow and I'm not sure why.  I'm still trying to figure that one out.  What I do know is that the subject matter annoys certain folks.  I'm just not sure about the why.

Thankful... for the people in my life that consistently offer encouragement, support, understanding and "good job".  I'm one of those people that is very very very easily discouraged.  One negative word and I often feel like a total loser. It's something I've battled my whole life - knowing that basing my own self-worth or what have you on the opinions of others, is never wise.  Since becoming a Christian I know my worth in God's eyes and that's the most loving, comforting sense of peace anyone can ever have.  Yet, I still struggle with the negative opinions of people.  I suppose I always will, so having uplifting people around me is a HUGE deal, and I'm very thankful for them.

Deliriously happy about... the progess Kev and I have made with our fitness goals. Yep, I'm going to talk about it again, just briefly. He's now lost 38 pounds and is in maintain/tone mode.  He's a rock star :-)  I've lost 17 pounds and my goal is sort of shifty because I really don't know for sure where it's going.  I don't know if I want to lose another 20 or if I'll be (finally) comfortable in my own skin at just another 10 pounds gone.  The determining factor for me is how my clothes fit & how I feel, not really what the scale says.  Regardless, the hard work has paid off for Kev and is paying off for me as well and I'm happy with that.

Excited about... 2013.  This is (Lord willing) going to be a pretty big year for us.  Our plan is to purchase our first house and we're super excited about that.  Living in town as opposed to out in the middle of nowhere means the elimination of SO many restrictions and inconveniences for all of us.  2013 also means Rachel's grade 8 graduation which is a super-duper big deal to her, and we're excited about that too.  I can't believe by fall, we're going to have two kids in high school.  They were all still toddlers just a few weeks ago, weren't they?

Well, that's about all for today.  I wish you and yours a very happy, blessed New Year!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Carla! Going through some old things and found something with your website on it ... thought I'd say hi. Trying to process that your "little kids" are going into high school. Wha??? Sounds like you are all doing well. I wish you the best on moving into town, that is my goal for Al and I also. Enough country life for me, give me those suburbs and street lights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: "Anonymous" is Kathy Ungren, my computer is freezing a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, SO good to hear from you Kathy! Yep, country life is good for a season I guess but then it's time for real life again, lol. I sure hope you and Al are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are still out here imparting thoughts for the rest of us to think about. Thinking way back to a post you did on a bizarre dream, and wondering what suburban dreams will be like in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to see you are still imparting wisdom to the blogosphere, Carla. Suburban life has its pros and cons, but I trust it will be a good move for you. Looking forward to first "weird dream post" following your move to new surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff. Welcome to suburban life.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to share your thoughts on this. All I ask is that you keep it clean, on point, and respectful. Or I will send my beagle after you.