Wednesday, November 7, 2012

How I'm Doing It

After only four weeks of dieting, working out and learning all kinds of things I posted a few things here that I thought might be helpful and encouraging to others beginning this journey.  Let me tell you, being only two years away from 50 (and after having 7 kids) I honestly had no idea how hard it would be to whip myself back into shape. I mean, I suspected it would be hard, I assumed it would be hard, but I had no idea just how hard it would be until I got off my hiney and got to it.  And it's worth EVERY drop of sweat and sore muscle, I assure you.

Well, as of yesterday it's been 10 weeks since I put the bowflex together and hubby and I started our diet and fitness plan and I'd like to share some results, and how we're doing it.  We didn't start keeping a weekly chart until we were already over a week into it, so here are the results from the last 9 weeks:

First up is Kevin because his results are way more impressive than mine :-)  In 9 weeks he's lost a grand total of 15.5 inches overall, and a very impressive 29.2 pounds! I'm very proud of him and the weight loss is quite impressive.  In case you're wondering, yes he is most definitely at the point of desperately needing new pants as they're literally falling off him, lol.

As for me, I've lost a grand total of 8.5 inches overall and a total (as of this morning) 11.7 pounds.  While I'm losing the weight at a much slower pace than he is, it's averaged out to just a little over a pound a week for me, and medical experts everywhere say that's a good pace to lose weight. Factors that make a ginormous difference for women (compared to men) and weight loss are also age, metabolism, fluid retention & monthly hormonal cycles. It's just a fact we have to fight harder to get the weight off than men do.  Kev and I recently had a conversation about this and even though most days I actually burn more calories than he does during workouts, he's still losing weight faster.  It's just the way it works.

So, here's how we're doing it.

FOOD

We both signed up at myfitnesspal.com about 8 weeks ago and it's been a tremendous resource for us.  When you first sign up you have the option to enter in your age, weight, weight loss goals, exercise goals and more and then it gives you a daily caloric goal to stay under, to achieve your goals.  For example for me, I have to stay under 1690 calories per day AND work out a minimum of 40 minutes a day (5 days a week) to achieve my goal weight of 165.  I try every day to stay under my food calories and go over my exercise burnt calories, and so far I've been able to maintain that.  Some days are better than others but I've only gone over my food calories once, in 8 weeks.

So, what do I eat to stay under my calories?  Pretty much whatever I want, lol.  However, my wants are much different now than they were 3 months ago.  I measure and weigh everything instead of eyeballing it, I read labels religiously instead of just tossing it into the cart, and snacks now are things like unsalted almonds and protein bars or veggie chips instead of chips & dip or cookies.  I could have a cookie if I wanted one, I'd just figure out the calories in it then get on the elliptical to burn it off.  I do that often, when it's been a higher than normal calorie day :-)  This past Sunday I made a dessert of whole grain cinnamon waffles, a scoop of chocolate frozen yogurt and drizzled with creamy caramel sauce.  Sounds pretty fattening, huh?  Well it wasn't, it was only 240 calories (and it was delish!)  The difference is, a few months ago I would have had 2 scoops and LOTS more caramel than I did on Sunday.  Smaller portions make a huge difference and you still get the enjoyment of the taste without the added calories.  While I do eat different stuff every day, here's a pretty typical day from this past Sunday (a non-workout day)

BREAKFAST: Kellog's brown sugar frosted mini-wheats - 11 biscuits (yes, I count them) & 4 oz. vanilla soy milk.
LUNCH: Elite brand chicken salad with cranberries & 6 whole wheat crackers
DINNER: Buttermilk mashed potatos (3/4 cup) & 3 oz. top sirloin steak.
DESSERT: 1 whole wheat waffle with 1 scoop of chocolate frozen yogurt and 1 tablespoon of caramel sauce.
BEVERAGES: 6 cups of coffee with fat free free french vanilla cream - 2 glasses of white wine

It could have been a better day (more fruit & a protein shake) but all that was 1664 calories.  Usually I have my protein shake for breakfast but Sunday is a non-workout day so I skipped it.  It might not seem like a lot of food, but I never end the day hungry.

EXERCISE

Now, this is where things get ugly, lol.  Okay not really but some days those last 4 reps of crunches feels like the weight of the world is literally sitting on my abs.  Here's what I do:

I'm currently doing circuit training with weight resistance & cardio on the elliptical.  If you have no idea what that means, it's this:

Monday - Wednesday - Friday I do 11 sets of exercises on the bowflex that range from bench presses, rowing & crunches and vary with the weight resistance.  For example the crunches I use 60 pounds of resistance but the leg presses I use 160 pounds of weight resistance.  I have more strength in my legs than my abs so I can tolerate a much higher resistance.  In between each set (16 reps each) I get off the bowflex and spend 60 seconds of intense elliptical.  Then it's back to the bowflex for the next set and repeat 60 seconds on the elliptical between all 11 sets.  A full workout like this takes roughly 35 minutes.  Sometimes a bit longer if I'm feeling pretty good and decide to do 2 sets of something instead of just one.  I also usually add anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes in the evening on the elliptical on these days.

Tuesday - Thursday - Saturday is straight elliptical.  The goal is 30 minutes but I usually go longer or get back on in the evening after dinner.  My goal there is to burn at least 500 calories just doing cardio and I usually hit it.

That's pretty much it :-)  I have my goal weight set right now to 165 but that will likely change when I get closer to it.  If I don't like the way my clothes fit at 165 I'll drop the goal down to 160 and go from there.  At the rate I'm currently losing, I should be close to my goal by the week of January 16, 2013 - 10 more weeks.  I'll check in before then and update my status.

Thanks for reading & feel free to share you thoughts if you like!

3 comments:

  1. K trying again...I AM SO PROUD OF BOTH OF YOU <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!! I bet you feel a lot better, too. Eating is the key to success, but I feel like exercise is the thing that motivates. Good luck with your goals. You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to share your thoughts on this. All I ask is that you keep it clean, on point, and respectful. Or I will send my beagle after you.