Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Autumn Goodness: Pumpkin Spice Muffins Recipe

Yesterday afternoon after running errands, hubby and I went through the Tim Horton's drive thru so he could get a cup of coffee.  Now, if you've ever been to Timmies you know they have these giant, evil, horrific signs right near the order thingy that have pictures of massively delicious and fattening yumtastics, such as donuts and bagels and sammiches and other things.  Well, it's fall now so guess what they were showing off there yesterday?  You guessed it, their wonderfully-horrible-fattening delicious pumpkin spice muffin.  I've had one in the past, and let me tell you, one bite and you're pretty sure there's an angelic chorus being sung, somewhere.  They really are that good.

So, being calorie-minded I quickly checked an app on my phone for that specific culprit and I almost fell out of the van when I saw 1 muffins has 410 calories. FOUR HUNDRED AND TEN.  That's insane.  That's more than my entire dinner last night that consisted of oven roasted potatoes, carrots, onions and left over roast beef.  Anyway, all that to say, it just inspired me to one-up Tim Hortons with my own version of a low-fat, low-cal, awesomely delicious pumpkin spice muffin.  I am quite pleased to say, I have met that challenge and now I'll share the results with you! Yay!  If you love pumpkin, you're going to LOVE these:


2 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
3 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
2 large eggs
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 c. sugar
2 c. unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. almond extract
1.5 T melted butter
1T. sugar
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

Pre-heat oven to 350.  In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda & pumpkin pie spice.  In a separate bowl combine eggs, pumpkin, sugar, applesauce and almond extract. Mix well then add to the flour mixture.  Mix just until moistened all the way through then scoop into prepared muffin tin. (I used a 12 cup tin).  Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

While muffins are baking, melt the butter and mix the sugar and spice.  When muffins are still warm, baste the tops with melted butter then sprinkle the sugar/spice mixture over the top.

I just ate one (I tried really hard to wait until after dinner, but it was impossible) and they are just fantastic.  Fluffy, sweet, pumpkinny wonderful.  And the good news is, they are only 138 calories per muffin. w00t!

Enjoy!