Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A Status Update, of sorts

I don't even know if I have any readers left here but I have a few things to say that I can't cram into 140 characters on twitter, or that seem reasonable even for a long FB status update. So this is where they shall go.

• Wondering... when speaking like a foul mouthed pig became so normal in our culture that even little kids do it? Here's the way it went down:

We were leaving a family "fun farm" a couple of weeks ago and it was already very dark.  I stopped with my youngest at the row of portable toilets on my way out but all the lights were out so we just walked away. A little girl of about 10 was standing there with an adult male (I assume it was her dad) and he said something to her about it being too dark to see, to use the bathroom.  She responded with this "I can't believe the f****** lights are out!"  I assure you, she did not say asterisk.  Dad responded with nothing. Nada, zilch, zippo.  It stopped me in my tracks, just a few feet from them and I said to my youngest "did that little girl just say what I think she said?!" Ruth replied, "yep, she sure did".  No doubt they heard us, as I wasn't trying to be quiet.  This happened a couple of weeks ago and it's been bugging me ever since.  Our culture has changed so much I can't even wrap my head around it. Honestly, I'm not even sure I want to.

• I got a super-cool package in the mail today and I blogged about it here. That's me there in that fun t-shirt (one of 8 in the package). But you prolly already knew that was me, huh?

• I have not read the book or written a review on Rachel Held Evans idea of living biblical womanhood.  I've heard from those I trust that the book made them go "oh no way, you've got to be kidding me" and I hate reading books like that.  I like reading books that people go "wow, this is fantastic insight".  So, don't look for any book reviews from me on this subject.

• Hurricane Sandy ripped through my area today with much less ferocity than it had when it hit the east coast, but it did knock some trees down and cause massive power outages.  Three of our kids stayed home from school today since their school was one that was without power, heat or phones.  We were spared, but we pray for those who were not. May God be merciful in their efforts to rebuild their lives.

• I have a much bigger post coming soon on this topic but I wanted to report that after 8 weeks of being diligent on this healthy eating/weight loss/exercise kick, I've dropped 10 pounds (as of yesterday's weigh-in).  Even cooler, is that hubby has lost 27 pounds!  Pretty awesome, huh?  I assure you there is no trick to what we're doing, it's just a lot of hard work, watching our calories, making smarter food choices (no pre-packaged foods - it's pure garbage!) and getting on the machines faithfully, 6 days a week.

• I posted a FB status the other day that I soon removed for personal reasons, but essentially it was a rant about people who steal things.  I don't even think they realize that's what they're doing but it's exactly what they're doing.  Let me give you the mock scenario:

Mary the Uber-Talented artist has a gallery where she displays her work for sale. Selling her work is how she contributes to her household income to pay bills, send her kids on school field trips, buys her son new jeans every time she turns around because he's growing like a weed, make the car & insurance payment and put food on the table. Sculptures, paintings, hand-crafted jewelry, all sorts of wonderful items.  The vast majority of the people that come into Mary's shop really appreciate her work and purchase directly from her.  Some even commission her to do custom work just for them, and she really enjoys that.  Although, once in a while someone comes in, really loves her work and wants it, but doesn't want to pay for it.  When Mary isn't looking, they just take whatever they want and walk out the door.  Now let me ask you, what is that called? It's called shoplifting, and if you did it and got caught, you'd be charged with theft, and rightfully so.

So now let me ask you another question: if you do it to an artist who's merchandise is for sale strictly online (not an actual brick and mortar store), what is it called?  It's called common, normal, every day occurance, and yet it's still stealing.  People do it all the time and never bat an eye.  They take songs, games, programs, movies, images and more and they never pay a dime for them.  They like the work, they appreciate the work so much that they really want it for themselves but just not quite enough to actually pay for it. Somehow, somewhere along the way they've latched onto this idea that somehow, they're simply entitled to take what they want, for free.  You could never get away with that in real life, and yet people online do it every single day.  It's absolutely maddening and it happens to me more often than I like to think about.  Listen, if you're someone who normally takes without paying for it, KNOCK IT OFF.  Artists that have their work for sale (actors, musicians, artists, designers, etc.) sell it to make a living, just the same way other folks go to work every day to make a living.

Well, that's about all I have to say.  I think I did have other stuff planned but either it wasn't important enough or it'll just go in the next status update.  Thanks for reading. :-)