Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Yummy BBQ Pulled Pork

Last week when hubby and I were at Costco, he turns to me and asks (being the most fabulous, thoughtful and considerate hubby, ever) "baby, do you need a new crockpot?" Imagine my surprise, since I'd just said to one of our older daughters a few days prior to that, that I needed a new crockpot. Clearly, ESP is one of my hubby's many hidden talents that I never knew he had, until now. Well the price was inbeatable so yes, I came home with a new crockpot.This exact one, to be specific - and I LOVE it.

Crockpots always come with a few basic recipes in the manual so I skimmed through and found one that sounded good: BBQ Pulled Pork.  Not only have I never had it, I've never made it and I was determined to try something new.  Here's the recipe (it's so easy it's almost embarassing):

2.5- 5 pounds of pork loin, trimmed
2-4 cups bbq sauce
2-3 chopped onions
6-8 buns or rolls

Except for the buns, place all the ingredients in the crockpot and cook for 7-9 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high.  When the pork is done, shred with a fork and place back in the slow cooker and blend well with the sauce.  Serve on fresh buns or rolls.

Now, here's how I made it: 12 pieces of boneless pork loin chops, 1 regular sized bottle of bbq sauce and 1 large onion.  I cooked it on high for 5 hours and it turned out simply incredible.  I served it on fresh sausage rolls with a side of fresh chunked pineapple.  The reviews?

Jordan - "yummy!" (she ate 2 sandwiches)
Samuel - (with a full mouth, nodding happily) flashed me the thumb's up sign
Rachel - "mine!!"
Ruth - (the child who hates pretty much everything) "wow, I actually like this"

Unfortunately hubby is working late and hasn't been able to try it yet but he's going to love it too.  I'm so glad he has ESP.  Oh, and here's a great place for more crockpot recipes as well. I know there are a bazillion of them out there, so one more can only make dinner even more fabulous!

Graphic design by Carla Rolfe