Friday, September 2, 2011

September Status Report

Sometimes I wish there were 3 or 4 of me so I could get all the things done I'd like to get done in a day. The only trouble with that is, if there were 3 or 4 of me that would mean more laundry and more dirty coffee cups so maybe that's not such a good idea after all? In any event, even though I don't keep this blog up the way I want to, here is at least a status report:  

Sitting... at my desktop this time around. I would be on my laptop on the deck but it's super-creepy-scary-movie foggy outside and it looks damp and yucky.

Drinking... french vanilla coffee in my travel mug that hubby bought for me before vacation.  Turns out, I really love this mug and use it A LOT.  We call them (he has one too) our "stay hot" mugs.

Listening to... my friend James White's Dividing Line from yesterday. Normally I listen live, while in his chat channel at the same time, but ever since vacation I can't seem to remember what day it is.  In a way it's kind of funny but in another way it's kind of annoying.  I really need to get back into a routine so it's a really good thing school is starting soon, as that will help a lot.

Thinking about... the fact that my only son was born on this day eleven years ago.  The day he was born we were having a fierce thunderstorm and the last flash of lightning and crack of thunder happened at the same time the doctor instructed me to PUSH! one last time. Kev was sort of alternating between holding my hand and watching the storm and truth be told, I'd have rather been watching the storm with him.  It was a rough time but at the end my beautiful baby boy was there.  Happy Birthday Samuel!

Planning... to put together a vacation scrap book and photo album as soon as the kids go back to school.  I've never done a scrap book before but we came home with so many fun things I really want to do this.  Besides, the scrap book accessories aisle at Walmart is so cool, how could I not?

Considering... how amazing God's mercy truly is.  I know that might sound cliche but I suppose part of what makes a cliche is that it's just true, and it's that simple.  The other day I was praying about a specific issue and simply asked for God's peace about it.  Less than 5 seconds after I was done praying something happened that not only assured me He heard my prayer but that the answer was YES.  I realize the non-religious or the skeptical would simply chalk that up to coincidence but I know Who it was that parted the fog and brought peace to that specific situation.  He never fails to astound me with His timing or His grace. 

Happy about... my recent weight loss.  It hasn't been easy by any stretch of the imagination, but since June 1st I've lost roughly 25 pounds and it feels really good to be rid of that extra weight.  My target weight is still about 15 pounds away, but I'm aiming for it and hope to be there soon.  Of course I've already had to get rid of an entire garbage bag full of clothes, but that's okay with me.  If you're wondering how I did it, it's pretty simple.  For the most part, I just stopped eating junk (chips, sweets, etc.), started drinking LOTS more water, and began doing more exercises (mostly just cardio and target toning and strengthening of the core - the upper and lower abs).  I still eat snacks sometimes but it's not a part of my usual diet, it's just a "once in a while" sort of thing.  Plain potato chips are my favorite and never realized how unbelievably salty they are until the other day.  I guess that's what happens when you don't eat something for a while then try it again.  What's really nice is, I don't even have a sweet tooth like I used to.  I have a chocolate bar sitting in my desk drawer thats been there for a couple of weeks now and I don't even want it.  That feels really good too.

Enjoying... blogger's new interface.  I don't blog very often anymore so I don't know how long it's been in affect but I really like it.

Pondering... getting my crazy hair cut off.  Normally I go about 10 years of letting it grow then I get it cut real short and start the 10 years all over again.  The last time I got it cut real short was in 2004 I think, but it's already grown so long it's always in the way. This time though I don't think I'll get it cut short but just trimmed and layered so my crazy curls are bouncy again instead of flat and frizzy.  Bouncy is always good, right? That may all sound very trivial but to a girl, hair matters. 

Glad that... I'm finally sleeping normally again after 28 years of not sleeping normally.  When my oldest daughter was born I had several veteran moms advise me to "nap when the baby naps" to keep my strength up.  It's great advice and I took it, but the problem for me is that I kept taking it for the next 6 kids and it just became a daily pattern for me for the next 28 years.  I couldn't get through the day without at least an hour nap, sometimes longer, and then I wasn't sleepy at all by what might be a "normal" bed time.  When we took our vacation this summer I knew I wouldn't be able to nap every day and I knew I wouldn't even want to so I decided then and there that I was finally going to break this napping habit.  I never did take an afternoon nap the whole month we were gone and asked hubby to help me keep the same routine when we got home.  We've been back now just a little over 3 weeks and only once have I layed down on the couch for a little rest.  Other than that, I'm in bed at a decent time at night and up early and sleep feels better than it has in years. Some days I still feel like laying down for a rest but that's when I get up and go do something to keep me busy. I don't want to ruin my night's sleep so I press through the groggies during the day.  I know some say that even a 20 minute cat nap is a good idea but for me it might not be.

Well, that's about it for me for a status report.  While typing this my twitterfeed keeps telling me about an earthquake off the coast of Alaska and a tsunami warning issued.  I pray today for the folks there, that God simply calms the storm and they'll all be safe.



Graphic design by Carla Rolfe