Monday, October 25, 2010

It's Random

Time for more Random Thoughts from a Random Thinker:

• Why is it, every time I see a "smart car" (you know the kind, those little tiny things with little tiny tires?) I fully expect to see Woody Allen and Diane Keaton inside it?

• When I'm out and about running errands I almost always see a complete stranger that resembles a celebrity. It's a fun People Watching thing I've done for as long as I can remember. Recently I was at WalMart and while I did not see a celeb doppleganger, I did see and hear a very old man in a motorized scooter that had the thickest Scottish accent I've ever heard in my life. The accent alone makes him the coolest old man in Canada. I could have stood there all day just listening to him talk. I don't even care what he'd talk about.

• Recently in the news was an article about possible charges pending against a runner up for Father of the Year award recipient who attempted to force his girlfriend into an abortion, at gunpoint. Criminal charges, they say, because he attempted to commit an unlawful termination of a pregnancy. I find this striking on many levels, not the least of which is the fact that in our culture it's perfectly okay for Mommy Dearest to slaughter her unborn child, but if Daddy Dearest tries his hand at it, he faces jail time. Our culture is disgustingly twisted beyond any recognition of moral uprightness. (I was being sarcastic about the father being a runner up for any kind of award, except for maybe the Creep of the Year. He definitely deserves at least that much.)

• In other twisted news, a single Christian woman in Michigan faces several hundred dollars in fines and a forced participation in a "fair housing" program because she had the audacity to post a "Christian roomate wanted" ad on the bulletin board of her church. In Michigan the Fair Housing Act prevents people from publishing an advertisement stating their preference of religion, race or handicap with respect to the sale or rental of a dwelling. So by her posting the ad on her church bulletin board, she was "expressed an illegal preference for a Christian roommate, thus excluding people of other faiths" according to the complaint filed by the Fair Housing Center of West Michigan.

Aside from the fact that this is possibly one of the MOST stupid laws I've ever heard of, what really blows me away is the fact that someone from this lady's own church, turned her into the Fair Housing Center. Yes indeed, according to the article: "the person who filed the initial complaint saw the ad on the church bulletin board and contacted the local fair housing organization." Isn't that just swell? Rather than contacting the lady herself and letting her know that the ad might violate the STUPID law and encourage her to reword it, this wonderful person just went straight to the Fair Housing center to bust her for illegal discrimination. This just makes me so angry. UGH.

• Lastly, I keep hearing about Willow Smith and her being this incredible, breakout pop artist with a great new song/video. In case you didn't know (and I didn't, and honestly didn't care) Willow Smith is the 9 year old daughter of Wil Smith and Jada Pinkett-Smith. Her new song is called Whip Your Hair. I clicked a link (no, I will not repost it here, and you'll thank me later) to her site to watch this fantastic new video and hear this earth shattering new song, and then... well, then I had more issues than a 1 legged man in a pogo stick race. This is quite possibly the dumbest, most pointless, most annoying song/video since Walking On Sunshine. In fact, I'd rather watch that video again a thousand times, before I ever have to watch/hear Whip My Hair again.

...and, that's all the randomness I have for today.




Graphic design by Carla Rolfe