Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Chicks Rock

The other day while I was out running errands I saw something that both annoyed me and inspired me at the same time. What I saw was a graphic t-shirt that could have been really cute, but instead was quite skankish and nasty. Let's be honest here, our North American culture is quite literally filled with skankish and nasty graphic t-shirts.

Whenever someone asks me questions about what I do as far as designing t-shirt graphics, the most common question is "where do you get your ideas?" To be perfectly honest, while some of my stuff is entirely unique and original, much of it is inspired by something someone else has already done. Like the skankish and nasty stuff I just mentioned. There is a huge market out there for folks who love graphic t-shirts and the like, and there are A LOT of them that are just plain sick and tired of the skank-o-rama. This is where I come in.

Chicks Rock!This is where I got the idea to create this fun design the other day. I had already created this adorable little yellow chick for a fun line of barnyard babies in my birthday shop, so I just borrowed her and gave her some pretty little eyelashes for the new design. What started out originally as just a cute little design for little girls (and big girls) shirts, turned into a whole line of fun chick goodies... which then turned into a much larger line of chick tees.

As soon as the girls saw what I was doing they started suggesting more and more chick tees: sporty chick, Canadian chick, biker chick, skater chick, twitter chick and more. The more they suggested, the more I thought of and before long it was a veritable chickfest and we were having a blast writing down all the fun ideas :o) What started as one design has now turned into nearly 600 products in store and many more to come! I just couldn't leave well enough alone (how can I, this is such a cute chick!) and I'm currently in the process of adding State Chick shirts and gifts, and will be adding Canadian province chicks after that.

Chicks Rock custom US postage stampsI was delighted yesterday to learn that this Chicks Rock US postage stamp not only received a Today's Best award from the folks at zazzle, but it also received an award for ranking in the top 10 postage views on the zazzle site. Considering there are over ONE MILLION custom postage stamps there, that's pretty incredible. Based on those stats, I'd say it's a pretty good bet that "cute" is definitely in demand.

My 11 year old asked me this morning if I have City Chicks yet. I don't have any plans to add those just yet, but if you'd like a city chick shirt or gift, I'll be happy to create one for you.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I need one for myself. :o)



Graphic design by Carla Rolfe