Sunday, July 18, 2010

Being a Grandma Rocks!

In this post I shall marvel at the wonders of being a grandparent. If that isn't really your cup of tea, I will understand. It's my blog though, and I get to brag on my grand girlies if I want to, and I want to.

Last night Kev and I babysat our youngest grand girlie Hailey. It's sort of funny how I say we babysat her, since the reality is that it's more along the lines of her having us wrapped around her chubby little finger. It occured to me as I watched her play and interact with Kev and the kids just how much she is like her mother. Of course this wasn't the first time I've noted this, but the older she gets and the more she develops it becomes more and more obvious to me that she's just a mini-Jessica.

The more I thought about this the more I realized that our other (older) grand girlie Jocelyn is likewise a mini-Jennifer in many ways. While physically she doesn't look as much like Jennifer as Hailey looks like Jessica, she does have her very same personality, expressions, and demeanor. She's a tad bit more outspoken than Jennifer was at that age, but overall she reminds me very much of her mother at the same age.

While going for a walk with Hailey after dinner last night, I couldn't help but be struck with the uncanny similarities between her and Jessica. When Jessica was the same age (roughly 18 months old) we'd go for a walk every night after dinner. We lived in the desert at the time (literally, out in the middle of the desert just west of Palm Springs) and we almost always saw jack rabbits jumping in or out of the brush during our walk. Before long the after dinner walk became known as the Bundeen Walk, since that's what Jessica called it. Every time she would see a rabbit she'd yell BUNDEEN! and try to go catch it. When that failed, we'd continue on with our walk until we'd come across an ant hill, or interesting rock, or anything else Jessica needed to stop and explore (and pick up).

We don't have nearly as many wild rabbits here (although we do have them) so Hailey didn't see any of those last night, but she did squeal out THISSSS! every time she spotted something interesting. Ant hill, pine cone, or small twig. She had to stop and examine everything, pick it up and carry it for a while or point at it and look up at me with the most adorable expression. She walked, talked and expressed herself in an identical way to her mother, at the very same age. I've watched our "Bundeen Walk" videos at least a million times, and it just really struck me last night how much my grand daughter is so much like her mother.

Even though I've been a grandmother for almost 4 years now, I'm still finding it amazing, strange, wonderful and weird, all rolled into one. I see my girls in my grand children, and I remember what kind of a person I was when their mothers were little. I am such a completely different person now that it's sometimes a rather bittersweet feeling to remember and think about it. If only I could have had the maturity and wisdom twenty years ago that I have now. Oh yes I know hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but it sure would be nice, wouldn't it?

If there is one thing I can say without question, it is that being a grandmother IS in fact as incredibly wonderful as I'd always imagined it would be. I see Hailey more often than Jocelyn, but both girls come over and are just as at home here as if they were in their own homes. I love it that they feel that way being at grandma and grandpa's house. Hailey comes for sleepovers and seeing her sunny little face first thing in the morning is just such a joy. Hailey is more like a cartoon than a person, with her endless supply of adorable expressions and smiles, crazy blonde curls and chubby little arms and legs, so it's impossible to even look at her without smiling.

Anyway, there is my Grandma Brag for the time being. I think I need to make a t-shirt design that reflects how awesome it is to be a grandma! :o)


Graphic design by Carla Rolfe