Friday, June 11, 2010

For the Birds

Yesterday was one of those very rare days around here. For about 3 hours, I was the only one home. Just me and the dog, and the cats. It was very quiet (the tv is never on when I'm the only one here), and it was a gorgeously mild spring day, so the windows were all open.

I was sitting at my desk when I heard a single "chirp".  I thought nothing of it, since the cherry tree is right next to the window and birds are always in it.  A few minutes later I heard that single "chirp" again.  I thought it sounded a little unusual, but never got up to investigate. Then again a few minutes later I heard it again.  This time I stood up to walk to the window to see who might be visiting the yard, when I saw this. A beautiful Rose Breasted Grosbeak sitting on the windowsill next to the oranges we have out for the Orioles.  Not just sitting on there, but periodically pecking on the glass.  I didn't dare walk over to the window for a better picture, since I didn't want to scare him away.  He ended up flying away a few minutes later but that was a real treat to have him visit the yard, it's the first time I've seen this bird this year.

I love this time of year, and this is just one reason.  This morning I heard the unmistakable high pitched chirps of a Cedar Waxwing, so when I looked out the window, sure enough there were a pair in the Highbush cranberry bushes having themselves a nice breakfast on the berries.  Of course I didn't have my camera in hand, so while standing there watching them, my face only a foot away from the hummingbird feeder, the female hummingbird came up and had herself a rather lengthy drink.  Its been a long time since I got a good pic of a hummingbird, so maybe I'll give that a shot today.  I love my birdies :o)

Graphic design by Carla Rolfe