Saturday, May 15, 2010

Thoughts from the Deck: Daisies, Butterflies and Pig Poop


Yesterday I decided cold-be-darned, I was going to force myself to get some things done around here. I prolly shouldn't have done that, because today I slept in until after 10am and feel worse than I did yesterday. On the up side, I did get some things done.

While I was out on the deck transplanting these once-gorgeous gerber daisies my daughter brought me for Mother's Day, I noticed a few things. The first thing I noticed was, I do not have a green thumb.  However, the wilty-sad appearance of the gerber daisies isn't my fault.  Apparently they looked great at the store on the Saturday night, and by Sunday morning they were wilty.  I thought maybe a transplant into a larger pot would help, but they still look just like this.  I googled about them and it would seem gerbers are rather picky, and do what they want.  I do hope they bounce back, I love them.

The next thing I noticed while I was outside yesterday, was that there were these pretty butterflies, everywhere! I kept seeing them out of the corner of my eye while I was working, but I really didn't pay much attention at first.  When I was done repotting the plant I looked up and was quite delighted to see them quite literally all over the place.  They were on the outside wall of the deck, on the deck, on the patio, fluttering around in the air... everywhere you looked, there they were. I love butterflies. I've always said they're like tiny little fluttering rainbows.

While I was watching the butterflies it occured to me how blessed we were this year that when the poop trucks came to fertilize the fields, it rained very hard immediately afterward.  Normally, this is not the case. It's far more common for the fields to be sprayed with the stinky business and then we have to suffer through for days until it rains.  If you live in the country you know exactly what I mean.  If you don't, be glad you have no idea what I'm talking about.  It's sorta funny but, you never realize how many types of conversations you can have with rational, lucid adults, about pig poop and how it compares to cow poop, chicken poop and sheep poop.  No one really wants to have these conversations, but when you live in the middle of 100 acres of farm fields, you end up having them anyway. In case anyone was wondering, Kev and I are 100% pro-cow poop, over and above pig poop.  Your mileage may vary.

Another thought that occured to me while I stood on the deck was: it's sunrise-on-the-deck-with-my-coffee time. From now until early October, weather permitting, I will take my first cup of coffee and my camera and go out on the deck in the morning. The kids being in public school this year changes my morning schedule a little bit, but I'm still going to carve out some sunrise on the deck time.  There is just something spectacularly peaceful about greeting the morning with the birds, as the sun slowly peeks over the silo in the distance.  In our world of noise, noise and more noise, it's a pretty great thing to begin the day with nothing but the sounds of nature. Well, that and the kids inside arguing about whether it'll be the apple juice boxes for lunch, or the mixed berry.

One last thought, and this has nothing to do with the deck.  If you're reading this from a reader instead of actually being at the blog, you've missed some fun new stuff.  (this is the part where you click the link to come right to the blog)  In just a few weeks it will be 6 years that I've been blogging. This blog has undergone a lot of transformations since June of 2004 and so to celebrate my happy bloggiversary, I've given the whole blog a fresh new look using blogger in draft. I've used that format before to add little things here and there, but its been a while since I visited and wowzers, they've added all sorts of great things to really spiff up your blog quite nicely. I think there are still a few more things I'd like to change, but the big work is done, for now.  One of the most significant changes here is that I've dumped ECHO commenting.  I really liked it when it was haloscan, so I payed the $10 bucks for a souped up version when it went over to ECHO, only to be greatly disappointed.  So... going full circle now, the commenting system is back to blogger's original system.  No logging in, no jumping thru hoops.  All the old comments are gone, and I'm okay with that.  Time for a fresh start anyway! :-)

Please feel free to leave a comment and let me know what you think of the new look.