Sunday, May 9, 2010

Status Report for May

Following in the pattern of Lisa's status reports which I always enjoy, here are a few things I've been pondering that really don't necessitate a full blog post of their own. Well, some could be their own post, but instead they'll get condensed into a status report:

Sitting... at my desk. For now. I really want a laptop now that I have a wireless modem. That'll be the next big purchase for me, Lord willing. I have to find a really good deal, somewhere.

Drinking… coffee with french vanilla cream. Yum.

Wanting... desperately to lose 30 pounds. I have no idea where it came from. I didn't change my eating habits to gain it, it just showed up one day and said "hello fatty, how are you?" I'm sure it all has to do with my age and my metabolism kicking into low gear. I have changed my eating habits now though, and increased my physical activity so I hope eventually this nasty, unwelcomed 30 pounds leaves and stays gone.

Enjoyed... very much enjoyed attending the KALEID choral festival on Friday night. The highlight of the evening was watching Rachel and Samuel sing with a 400+ choir in a gorgeous, old, Presbyterian church. Some may say that the highlight of the evening however was to hear Rajaton, the acapella group from Finland. Indeed they are absolutely fantastic, and I would encourage you to hit youtube and check them out.

Thinking... about moving. For the last few months we've been working on downsizing the amount of junk we have and it really seems like we're not making a dent at all. When you spend 8 years accumulating stuff to fill a house, it takes a LONG time to get rid of said stuff, that you just don't need. Like a closet 4 feet deep in plush toys. What in the world do you do with 4 feet of plush toys??

Anticipating... the end of the school year, but with mixed feelings. The end of the year also marks the end of an era for me. After 10 years of homeschooling, I will no longer be a homeschool mom and it's great in some ways, and sort of sad in other ways. I'm sure I'll post more about that later.

Considering... the serious and damaging implications of being a known liar. Now this is the one that could really be it's own blog post. So... I will hold off on this one for now, and maybe post on it later this week. Stay tuned, it's not going to be pretty but its something that MUST be said, for the sake of the integrity of the gospel of Christ.

Realizing... that I'm running late right now and need to get into that kitchen and make my 24 year old's birthday cake. Its a dual celebration today. Her birthday was last week but we were all sick so we postponed until today.

Thankful... this Mother's Day for so many things. Namely for my own mom who put up with so much junk from such a bratty kid (of course I'm referring to my brother, who else?) through the wretched teen years. For her own faithfulness to being there for her kids no matter what, for always listening no matter what, and for being a genuine friend to her kids and not being a wimp and being afraid to actually be a parent at the same time, and say NO when we needed to hear the word no. She set a pretty high standard that after 27 years of being a mom myself, I'm still trying to live up to. It's a noble standard and I'm honored to keep aiming for it. I love you Mom!

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there, in whatever form you're a mom. I hope you have a truly blessed day.


Graphic design by Carla Rolfe