Thursday, March 25, 2010

Wanted: Geek Wisdom

Okay geeks, I need your help. Here's the situation:

We have 2 computers, both dial up dependant. I was told today by a HDTV sat technician that the best solution for us (since we can't get internet any other way) is what he called an internet stick (usb wireless modem). He said we should be able to get high speed internet out here in the middle of nowhere, with that.

So I did some looking around at Bell and Rogers for their deals, and I'm somewhat confused. Here are my questions, in no particular order:

Do you have to buy 2 sticks for 2 computers?

Both places charge $0.00 for the stick on a 2-3 year plan, but I'm not sure how to pick the right monthly plan for internet using this kind of modem, and/or if we'd have to have 2 accounts the way we do now. That part confuses me. (and for those in the Rogers.ca and Bell.ca coverage areas, which one is more reliable, faster, etc.)

If we go this route, can we go ahead and dump both dial up accounts and one of the phone lines?

I was told they work off cell phone towers, and we do get excellent cell coverage here with Telus (although I'm not sure if that matters or not?). If the internet sticks don't work are we stuck with them for the 2-3 year plan? (assuming we have to get 2 of them?)

I'm sure I have more questions that I don't even know about yet, but I'm hoping to get some solid answers on this so I can decide what to do.




Graphic design by Carla Rolfe