Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sleep Movies

I woke up from my afternoon nap the other day, and was suddenly greeted by one of the kids telling me they had to have a plate of cookies for the next day at school. The school was having a special fund raising event called a cookie swap. I don't recall all of the details, but all three kids needed a plate for the event, and it immediately occured to me I was out of eggs. Feeling frustrated about that, Kev offered to run up to the store and get a dozen eggs. I headed into the kitchen to get all the other ingredients out to make 3 dozen cookies for the fund raiser.

When I stepped into the kitchen I had forgotten that our kitchen floor is warped and slants at a sharp angle (probably because I had just woken up and was immediately distracted about the urgent cookie need) and when I took a step into the kitchen I mis-stepped somehow and slipped and fell at a very strange angle. Due to the way I fell I somehow managed to break my left thigh bone when I hit the floor. The pain that shot through my leg, up my back and into my brain was unlike any other kind of pain I have ever felt in my life. Laying there on the kitchen floor not even able to scream (I think I blacked out from the pain and/or went into deep shock), Kevin came home with the eggs and found me there. Needless to say he was quite distressed to find me like that. The kids were all in the game room the whole time, so they didn't even know I needed help. He grabbed the phone and called 911 and tried to reassure me everything would be okay. I knew it was a flat out lie when he said "I'll make the cookies for the kids".

And then... I woke up. (Yes mom, it was just a dream!)

For as long as I can remember, I have had the weirdest, wildest, most detail-rich dreams. Sometimes I laugh so hard in my dreams that I wake up still laughing. Sometimes I am in such terror, that the sound of my own screaming (literally) wakes me up. Much of the time they don't really make any sense, but other times when I think about the details it's rather comical how my sleeping brain just tumbled all sorts of little details together into some bizarre type of sleep-movie.

For example, the Egg/Cookie Swap/Broken thigh dream from the other day. We really are out of eggs and I made a mental note to pick some up Thursday, hoping nothing would come up before then, where I might need some. The cookie swap is sort of true, since the kids are all having bake sales at their schools, and I wasn't able to make anything this time around. The warped floor isn't real, but our basement stairs are in fact very warped, and it occured to me the other day that it's purely by God's grace no one has wiped out on those stairs yet. The falling and breaking a leg bone was from being told my friend's step-dad actually did fall and break a hip. Somehow, for some reason that doesn't make a bit of sense to me, while I slept my brain decided to toss all those things together and create a new story, for me to dream about.

Some people say they never dream, while others say they can't remember their dreams. I've never had either of those experiences, but it seems like it would be very odd. While I have my share of nightmares and I could certainly do without those, I think it would be very odd indeed to never dream, or never remember the details of them. In some ways, it's rather enteraining trying to figure out why you dreamed about the man with ears like corn cobs, or how you dreamed about your daughter's face before she was ever even conceived, or why in my dreams when I want to run faster I actually turn around and run backwards. Oddly enough, it works every time.

I'm just glad my real life is nowhere near as full of adventure as my dreams. :-)


Graphic design by Carla Rolfe