Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Two Things in 2010

After many many years of making and not keeping New Year's Resolutions, I decided several years ago to stop making them. It always seems like a good idea to start a new thing at the beginning of a new year, but for whatever reason, I just can't seem to stick with it.

It's not really a NY resolution, but I have determined to do two things in 2010.

First thing I've determined to do, is be less negative. Whether that means critical or just plain nit-picky about something someone said or wrote, whiney and complaining about the cold winter weather, or whatever else it happens to be. It occured to me not long ago that I just complain too much about too many things. I honestly don't think Christians should be like this. I think we should be looking for and rejoicing in all the good and wonderful things all around us every day. Now I don't mean to say we should stick our heads in the sand and go all Joe Ignorant about what's going on in the world, the church, and that sort of thing, but I do mean to say that being critical and complaining about things ALL the time isn't right either.

The second thing I've determined to do in 2010 is to improve my health. Turning 45 at the end of 2009 caused Kev and I to take a little stock of how we're doing health-wise (we'd like to be around to see all the grandkids and future grandkids grow up) and we decided it was time to be pro-active. We decided back in November that when he received his vacation pay out for vacation time he didn't take in 2009, that we'd spend part of that money on an elliptical machine for us. Well, yesterday the elliptical arrived and he put it all together.

He had me test it after he was finished, and after spending less than 2 minutes at the lowest tension setting, I can see that this is going to be a lesson in endurance training. I don't have any crazy goals to set, but I'm going to just get on the machine every day for a very short period of time, and try to work my way towards increasing the time spent on it. It's going to be really hard because I'm dreadfully out of shape, so if anyone would care to volunteer to be in my cheering section, I'd be more than happy to hear from you once in a while.


Graphic design by Carla Rolfe