Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Sassy Mouth? Grandma Used Soap to Clean Those Up

A few days ago I read the account of a *university prof who dared critique an up and coming celebrity pastor (celebrity pastors is another topic alltogether). What happened to this prof as a result of his open critique is absoutely unthinkable, and yet it happened. You can read it for yourself here, if you choose. It's very long, so grab a coffee first.

This same man was the guest on a podcast yesterday and I downloaded and listened to part I. Huge files, so part II will have to come later. After the interview with the prof, the host of the podcast played a message by this celeb pastor, and cut into the message to offer commentary.

After listening to this I have something to say:

Whatever school of thought it is out there producing these smart mouth, irreverant pastors, needs to be immediately condemned as unfit for public use, and then be demolished and turned into a lovely park with flowers and a nice duck pond.

I am so sick and tired of hearing these mouthy pastors. They inspire exactly ZERO reverance for holy things, and they're not nearly as funny as they think they are. What's more, shame on their knuckleheaded followers who encourage them rather than lovingly call them on it and encourage them to a higher standard. These mouthy pastors would change their tune right quick if their audiences would stop bursting out in laughter at their juvenile antics. Good grief men, GROW UP. Junior high was over a long time ago, for most of you. (I honestly don't mean that in a snarky, malicious way. I just don't know how else to say what needs to be said.)

*You may wonder why I didn't name names here. It's intentional. Regular readers here know that I have no issue with naming names, however I have read the account of the prof and what happened to him and his family when he dared offer open criticism, and I don't want the same thing happening to my family when some twisted nutjob with a fascination for the violent and obscene does a google search for key names, looking for a target. It may be enough that I linked to the article above, but this is something that the church really NEEDS to see, and understand.


Graphic design by Carla Rolfe