Sunday, December 13, 2009

It Was a Good Day

I meant to write about this yesterday, but before I knew it the day was gone and that was that. Even though we officially celebrated my birthday last Saturday when everyone was off work, my real 45th birthday was yesterday.

Kev came home from the night shift and brought me a Happy Birthday muffin (fruit explosion no less, and yes, it was insanely yummy) and an extra large cafe mocha. He put a candle in the muffin, lit it, and him and the kids sang happy birthday to me at 7:45 in the morning.

It was a pretty great way to start the day. I put my birthday roast in the oven a little later, then I sat and listened to Kasey Kasem's original top 40 countdown from the 1970s on my local classic rock station. I listen to it every Saturday, and this week the countdown was from December 16, 1972. The saturday that show aired the first time, I had just turned 8 years old a few days prior, and quite likely listened to it that very day. Kev and I have a lot of discussions it would seem, about the kind of staying power and influence music of the early 70s seems to have. For me, it was the background music of my childhood and will forever be the music of "the innocent years". If I had to pick one song to sum it all up it would likely be impossible. Seals and Crofts Summer Breeze and Drift Away by Dobie Gray are definitely the top two in that area. However, Chicago and James Taylor make it really hard to settle on a #1 song. There is just something about that music...

In any event, while I sat and listened to the countdown I chatted with some of the most awesome people in the world in #pros, and alternately designed this new line of business card templates, checked on the kids playing outside, did some laundry, mopped a few floors, and just thoroughly enjoyed the day. Later, we smashed the smithereens out of a couple of candy canes and sprinkled them on top of chocolate ice cream with hot fudge sauce, for my birthday dessert.

I have to admit, it feels weird in some way turning 45. I can't really put my finger on the why, but it just does. It might have something to do with the idea that when I was younger, 45 seemed REALLY old. Now that I'm here, I wonder where all that time went and how in the world I became 45. In any case, it was a really good day as days go, and as 45th birthdays go, I don't think I could have planned a better one if I tried.

It's been a tremendously blessed 45 years. I do hope I get another 45, just as blessed.


Graphic design by Carla Rolfe