Monday, November 2, 2009

Thankfulness: Christian Fellowship

Several years ago I was having a conversation online with a fellow Christian who had been going through a very difficult time. After being married, she had become a Christian and her husband did not. They had a child and she was raising him with Christian values and it bothered her husband so much he just up and walked out one day. She was devastated, but hanging on tightly to her faith, and trusting in the Lord to keep her strong for her five year old son. She said to me "Carla, I just keep reminding myself every day to have an attitude of gratitude, and not let the hard things get me down". This conversation took place more than 10 years ago now and while I do not know what became of her and her family I know that what she said to me really stuck well since I think of her often, and think of her attitude of gratitude.

The Bible says in Proverbs 27:17 that just as iron sharpens iron, so does one man sharpen another. Every Christian can testify that this is most certainly true when it comes to encouragement, edification, and even rebukes and chastisement done in love.

I can't even begin to count the numbers of conversations I've had with other Christians where something was said that I had maybe never thought of before, or maybe needed to hear just at that moment.

Even though we weren't able to be at church yesterday and share in that face to face fellowship since most of us either have the flu or are getting over the flu, this very thing happened several times just yesterday. I received an email from my pastor sharing a thought that greatly encouraged me, and twice online I read something from other Christians that really made me stop and give thought to the statement. While the internet certainly can't replace face to face fellowship, today I'm definitely thankful for that iron that sharpens iron, whether it be in person or not. We all really need that, and it's very good that we have it.


Graphic design by Carla Rolfe