Friday, November 20, 2009

Thankfulness: Being a Stay at Home Mom, and LIKING It!

Happy Retro Lady - bakes cookies all day and greets children and hubby with a smile

I am incredibly blessed, and I know it.

While back in the 1950's it was commonplace for the wife to be at home during the day while the husband worked, the 1950's gave way to all sorts of revolutions, movements, social paradigm shifts and all sorts of other cultural upheavals. Some would say these things were for the best, while others would say they only contributed to the breakdown of families, and society in general. Either way you look at it, our culture is certainly very different than the way it was in Anytown, USA in the 1950's. Gone is the era of June Cleaver, for good.

Not unlike many my age, I grew up in a one parent home. Mom worked because she had kids to feed and a mortgage to pay, and that's just the way it was. It was partly because mom had to work that I think I never really wanted to. I didn't want to grow up and get up at 5:30 am and be away from home all day, then come home and make dinner, do laundry, clean the house and tuck my kids into bed. Nope, I wanted to be home making my house a home, and bake cookies and greet the kids at the door when they came home from school. I know, it all sounds horrible, doesn't it? I think every time a conservative, family woman says that, a liberal career woman somewhere breaks a heel on her office shoe. That's just a rumor, I can't prove that it's true.

In any event, I am incredibly blessed to be able to live the life that I always wanted to. No, I don't dress like June Cleaver (my t-shirts are cooler than her dresses anyway), and no, there aren't always cookies and milk at the end of the day (sometimes it's rice cakes or brownies), but I am at home where I want to be while hubby works all day and it works out quite well for everyone. Of course it does mean that we don't have all the latest tech-toys that a two-income family has, but we're all okay with that too. Kevin's job is as secure as any job could be and it affords us the opportunity of me being a stay at home mom.

Today (and every day), I am most certainly thankful for that.


Graphic design by Carla Rolfe