Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Infested!

terrorist disguised in cuteIt happens every year. Some years are worse than others, and for whatever reason only really smart people understand, this year seems to be shaping up to be one of "those" years we're all going to remember. For a really long time.

Yes, our house is swarming with LADY BUGS. I don't know how they get in, I don't know why they come in, I only know they do, they are, and they're seriously annoying. Now, don't get me wrong, I think they're as cute as the next person, and I'm not "anti-ladybug" or anything like that, but they truly are are annoying. Here are two examples of how annoying they are:

• Last night before bed I was standing in the bathroom washing my face. I noticed a few of them on the mirror and just ignored them. Well, not to be ignored, one flew off the mirror and landed on my face just under my left nostril. Yes, he (or she?) proceeded to begin the climb toward the nostril. Of course I did what any rational person would do and I began to slap myself silly to get the nostril invading beast off my face. It worked, and he flew away. The minor bruising shouldn't be too noticable.

• This morning as I was minding my own business eating my blueberry frosted mini-wheats, I looked down at my bowl to get another bite and lo and behold, what do I see? Yes indeed, a ladybug surfing on a mini-wheat in my bowl! I'm just glad I looked at my bowl first, or breakfast today would have been a completely different experience.

These things are in just about every room, and nothing we've tried keeps them out. We just have to put up with them until the cold weather arrives and they do whatever ladybugs do when it gets cold. I'm not sure if they take a nap, die or fly off to someone else's house where it's warmer, but it's one of the only reasons to look forward to colder, winter weather.

So today, as much as I detest the cold, I am thankful for it. Funny how that works, isn't it?



Graphic design by Carla Rolfe