Friday, October 9, 2009

From the Mail Bag: You're a Hater!

Well, I do get mail. Most of it is from folks who can assure me triple sales in 5 easy steps, or how to drive millions to my website, but I do get mail! Here's one that came through this week that was a little more personal:

God loves Obama, you hate Obama. You are just mean and cruel.

That's what the email said. I read it once, then read it again, then read a third time. Trying to figure out how in the world the sender of the email came to this conclusion. The email came through my main site which does in fact list my line of Anti-Obama bumperstickers, t-shirts, etc., so I had to conclude that based on purely that, the sender of the email assumed I hate Obama.

Allow me to just clear the air on this. I have no idea if the sender of that email will ever see this (nor do I have any reason to believe the email was a legit addy), but just in case anyone else comes to the same conclusion, I'd like to be able to point them to this post.

1. I am in fact, anti-Obama. However, what does that mean? Does that automatically mean that I am "mean and cruel" as the emailer suggests? Hardly. It's very simple in that it means I am 100% against his liberal worldview, liberal political view, liberal religious view, and liberal social issues view. While I have no doubt that some of his views on some things, somewhere, I might agree with him (like maybe cinnamon in hot cocoa, or opening Christmas presents only on Christmas morning) - for the most part and overall, I definitely stand on the other side of the fence, so to speak.

2. Being anti-Obama certainly does not mean that I hate him. In fact, I can't think of a single person that I could honestly say I hate, even though there are a few people in this world that I really dislike, a lot. Just a clashing personality thing, but I certainly don't hate them. Frankly, I think as a person, a parent and a fellow countryman, I'd probably have a lot in common with him and maybe even enjoy a conversation with him. He certainly seems like someone that would be fairly easy to get along with, and converse with.

3. I strongly believe in freedom of speech. I am by birth, a citizen of the United States of America, where I grew up understanding the precious right and responsibility of freedom of speech. While American citizens still have this right, I have every intention to use it responsibly when and where I think it's warranted. In the case of the Obama Presidential Administration, I believe it's warranted for those against his liberalism to speak up and let their voices be heard.

4. I strongly believe in the responsibility of Christians to declare truth against error. While I do not subscribe to any kind of social gospel nonsense, I do believe as Christians we have the responsibility to stand up and say "no, this is not right, not Biblical, and not pleasing to the Lord". We don't have to do it with gigantic banners and bullhorns, and we don't have to be offensive in our delivery (as unfortunately some Christians can be). We can do it with a simple bumpersticker, t-shirt, or coffee cup sitting on our desk at work.

So there you have it. I hope that clears the air on where I stand. I know that many others agree with me, since the anti-Obama merchandise is selling on a regular basis, all across the good ole US of A, to fellow Americans. Even to some Canadians. Go figure.


Graphic design by Carla Rolfe