Friday, September 4, 2009

Week's End Miscellanies

Lately, I have no idea where the time goes. Every day I have good intentions of sitting down here and writing out something, and every night I think to myself "wow, where did today go?" Mostly, it's going to gearing up for the new school year and all the details that go with that, and whatever time is left is divided up between designing, wedding details, trips to the dentist for me and all the kids and then whatever else I can cram into a day. Blog writing has not only taken a backseat, so has blog reading. I think I've read less than 5 blog posts this week. It's just that thing called life interfering in my blogginess. So anyway, heres a few random hits on various things:

• Is it just me, or is it seriously freakish that suddenly the fashion for teenage boys is being ultra-skinny (think: skeleton thin) with ultra skinny, skin tight, feminine colored (purples, oranges) pants? Its as if the lead singer from the J Geils band made a fashion-splash comeback. I've seen more and more teenage boys dressed this way over the summer, and it's rather disturbing.

• I've spent a good chunk of design time over the last couple of years doing custom designs for other people, and I absolutely love doing that. However, that time and effort is donated for free and everyone tells me I'm insane to work for free. "I've seen your designs on various blogs & websites and you're doing that for FREE!?" one person said. Yep, I do it for free. I suspect that's one reason folks come to me for design work. I wouldn't know what to charge anyway even if I did start charging, so I'm going to go with a "donate what you think this work is worth" option for future requests, via paypal. (Custom and personalization work for the store is exempt from this - those will remain as is - no extra charge). I'll be adding a "donate" button at carlarolfe.com for non-store related design work. Maybe someone will think my talent is worth more than free! :-)

• Yesterday while driving home from WalMart I saw a man walking down the stree with a real parrot on his shoulder. What!? Yep, a parrot. I so wanted to shout out the window "argggh, matey!" but I did not. I should have.

• According to the news, Rifqa Bary will be staying with her foster parents in Florida for at least another few weeks, until another trial where the court system will decide custody. Please do continue to pray for her, and for other Muslims that convert to Christianity that face the same very real threat of an honor killing.

• I've volunteered to make the boutineers for the men in the wedding party for my daughter's wedding. I've never made one before, but I have a picture of what they're supposed to look like, and I have the crafty-touch to make them turn out right. Ivy, maple leaves, a small twig and some green silk ribbon and they'll be awesome. I have a hot glue gun, and I am not afraid to use it. I'll post some pics when they're done.

• Did I mention my sugar baby pumpkins in my garden are coming along quite wonderfully? Well, they are! I think I have 6 or 7, but they're small and they like to hide under the giant leaves, so I may have more. There is nothing quite so yummy as a fresh Thanksgiving pumpkin pie, made with garden fresh pumpkins. I'm so glad I decided to put in a garden this year.

• Minus the gym shoes they'll need (that we'll be stopping at WalMart after church on Sunday and picking up) the kids are all ready for back to school. We went up a few days ago for them to get their classes and take another tour of the school, and they're so excited they can barely stand it. I remember that back to school feeling of the last week of summer. It's exciting to meet new kids and for them (since they've been homeschooled their whole lives) it's going to be extra exciting to be in a classroom setting. I have a feeling that excitement will wear off quickly and before long they'll hate sitting at a desk for so long each day, just like most kids do. Ruth is all ready with new textbooks, workbooks and a fresh box of crayons. I think out of all the grades I've loved teaching the most, first and second grades are the best. She'll be doing both levels in various subjects, so it's an awesome last homeschool year for me to be teaching.

• Speaking of crayons, here's my off-the-top-of-my-head attempt at coloring your feelings:

"Completely out of the blue he exclaimed "what are you, yellow?" The man recoiled, feeling somewhat green. Suddenly, he saw red. He had to find a way into the black, and stop feeling so blue."

Feel free to try that yourself (leave yours in the comments), it's not as easy as you might think to write with colors. I could have done a better job but that was my first attempt and I just left it as is.

• Parents all across the US are considering opting out their kids from the first day of school September 8th, because school districts are going to require kids to watch an address by President Obama. When I first heard this, I wasn't sure what the big whoop-dee-doo was all about. Jules from everydaymommy has a few things to say about this, and you can read it here. You decide what's best for YOUR kids.

• Last but certainly not least, the wife of Japan's new Prime Minister claims she's travelled to Venus, in a ufo. But wait - there's more:

"The wife of Japan's incoming prime minister, Yukio Hatoyama, claimed in a book called "Most Bizarre Things I've Encountered" that she flew in a UFO to Venus in the 1970s, where she made fast friends with the natives, the Times of London reported. “While my body was sleeping, I think my spirit flew on a triangular-shaped UFO to Venus,” wrote Miyuki Hatoyama. “It was an extremely beautiful place and was very green.” The space-bound spouse has also been a musical actress, cookbook writer, designer and TV personality — and says that she was friends long ago with Tom Cruise, whom she knew in a previous life when he was Japanese." - (source)

Well, there ya go. Ahem.

Oh, I have to include this as well, because your life depends on it!

• "People who have agonized over their fat thighs might be able to relax a bit — Danish doctors said on Thursday they found patients with the thinnest thighs died sooner than the more endowed." (source)

Well that's about all the wisdom I have today. It's Labor Day Weekend, and we have no plans to do anything except hang out around the house, maybe go in the pool one last time (it's going green, and time to take it down real soon) and barbeque dinners on the deck. On the one hand I'm sad to see summer go (as always) but looking forward to the new school year, and caramel apple flavored candy corn going on sale at the bulk food store. Fall is still my second favorite season, even if it's too short, and means Old Man Winter is just around the corner.

Oh, and one last item:

Ryan Seacrest wants to know what you're doing this weekend. Yes, that Ryan Seacrest. Go tell him what your plans are. He wants details. I triple dog dare you to respond to his tweet.

Have a super-duper Labor Day weekend! I'm off to download yesterday's Dividing Line, then listen to that while I create boutineers. No one should be allowed to have this much fun.




Reflections Apparel and Gifts - Family Friendly Shopping