Monday, September 7, 2009

From the Teacher's Desk

I once had a dream in which I had cleaned my living room real nice, and set a bowl of candy on the center of the coffee table. I had left the front door open as it was a lovely spring day. I went into another room and while my back was turned, the little boy from next door snuck inside and headed straight for the candy dish. He ate all the candy and trashed the room, before I had a chance to do anything about it. When I woke up the one thought going through my head was "when you leave the door open, there's no telling who/what will come in". Of course this applies in real life (which is why we lock our doors in the city, and shut those screen doors in the country) but it certainly applies to spiritual things as well.

I had this dream many years ago, but the impact of the spiritual truth of it really stuck with me. Sometimes we open doors that we really didn't mean to open, and sometimes those doors are rather hard to shut.

Recently my pastor preached a sermon that was sort of on this theme. Moreso, it had to do with what we feed ourselves on. Books, movies, music, websites, hobbies, habits and that sort of thing. One of the things he mentioned was how easily it happens that maybe just a "little" of this or a little of that at the beginning, might soon become A LOT of this or that, and how our spiritual life begins to really suffer as a result. While this is certainly not a new sermon (your pastor has probably preached the same one), it's defnitely one that we all need to hear on a regular basis. It's almost frightening how easy it really is to begin to become a lazy slob, spiritually. When things such as attending church regularly, praying every day, reading our Bibles and having family devotions start to take a backseat in favor of one thing or another, it becomes very very easy to let them take a backseat more and more often. We begin to feed more on things of the world than on things that nurture our spirit, and we will begin to starve ourselves spiritually. I know this for a fact, because I've unwittingly done it more than once. Maybe you have too?

As much as I love summer, I look forward to school starting every fall for many reasons. One of those reasons, is that it gives me a structured, daily lesson in Scripture and Scriptural applications five days out of the week. Someone once told me that a great way to learn your Bible is to teach the Bible, and I have found this to be quite true. As much as I do read my Bible, summertime always seems to somehow interfere in the regular feeding on the word.

Today I went through Ruth's fall lessons and I was really glad to note she'll be studying the Old Testament in her Bible course. I've taught through this particular book twice before, and I absolutely loved it both times and learned new things myself both times as well. I'm very much looking forward to teaching through it again, and being back on track with a regular daily/weekly study. Since this is my last year homeschooling, I've already made a mental note of some of the books I have here that I would like to study through for myself, when all the kids are at public school next year. That mental list may change between now and then, but at least I have these books (and study guides, and workbooks) and I have loads to choose from.

If homeschooling for 10 years has taught me anything, it's that even the teacher can be richly blessed by the teaching. Pretty cool, huh?


Reflections Apparel and Gifts - Family Friendly Shopping