Thursday, August 13, 2009

Super Wimp Needs Prayer, Please

So, I get to have oral surgery tomorrow. It's kind of a big deal, as I'll be sedated while the dentist extracts several broken teeth that are broken beyond repair, and does some bone scraping and gum pushing and all kinds of other very icky and painful sounding things. I'm such a dental-wimp, just parking the car outside the building is painful, so I may be over reacting to how intense this surgery is supposed to be. I've known for years that this surgery was going to have to take place, but until now have not had the means to have it done. While it needs to be done, and while I'm glad it will all be over by Friday afternoon, I am really not looking forward to it at all. However, the dentist and the hygeinest have both assured me I'll likely sleep through the entire thing and won't even remember it. I hope they're correct.

Sedation kind of scares me, but it's the only way to get through the 90 minute procedure. I don't react well to sedation as it alters your perception of reality and that tends to make me a little paranoid. I'm totally NOT into altered perceptions, and I'd make a horrible drug addict for just that reason.

I've had this done once before many years ago, and was unable to eat or even open my mouth enough to get a straw in to drink anything, for several days. The bruising afterward is also rather hideous. I'm hoping recovery isn't nearly as bad as the last time.

I wish I could have inherited Super Man-type teeth, but unfortunately that is not the case. They're more like egg shells and regardless of how obsessed I am with rinsing after meals, brushing, flossing and regular dental cleaning, they just seem to dissolve and fall apart. Everyone that knows me well, has made at least one smarty-pants comment about my dental hygeine obsession. On Friday, my super awesome dentist is going to replace the irrepairable teeth with Super Man teeth, that will never fall apart the way my wimpy teeth tend to do. That's the part I'm looking forward to! I'll be able to eat many different kinds of foods that I have not been able to eat for years. Like, crunchy cheetos instead of the puffy ones, and apples! I'm pretty sure Super Man eats crunchy cheetos and apples.

So, if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you for prayer for me for the procedure. I'm rather nervous about it and I'd prefer not to be.


Reflections Apparel and Gifts - Family Friendly Shopping