Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Me: The Author

I got a not surprise in email yesterday. The company I use that allows me to self-publish my books (listed in the left sidebar there) informed that both of them were chosen for a listing on amazon.com. I thought that was pretty nifty. You can purchase a promo-package through this company and pay to have your book listed (and all kinds of other promotional stuff) but I've never really felt comfortable with that, so I never did it. Now, they've listed both books for me, at no charge.

The timing of this is sort of funny too. Just yesterday, someone in the chat channel at #pros asked for book recommendations for his church library. I jokingly said something along the lines of "I'd suggest mine, but no one buys it and I'd like to keep a clean record on that". He did ask for a link to it, but I never really gave it another thought. Then, last night as the kids were headed off to bed, Rachel came looking for the Maplewood Manor book. She wanted to read it in bed last night! I did read it to the kids when I first wrote it, but that was a long time ago and it's been put away ever since. So then, Samuel asks "mom, when are you going to finish the sequel to Maplewood Manor?" Sigh... they've been asking for over a year, and it's still not done. I'm such a procrastinator.

I still have the (sequel) story fresh in my head, I just became extremely discouraged when neither book ever sold. Okay I take that back, I bought a few copies to give away, and I know at least two other people who bought one of each. There's also a copy of the faerie book in a public library in the states, but beyond that they just sit there unsold and that sorta made me sad & caused me to be discouraged. I'm a horrible self-promoter and when you self-publish you HAVE to be good at promotion or your book will not sell.

Well, I've decided that it doesn't matter if no one ever buys either of these books, I'm going to go ahead and finish the sequel to Maplewood Manor. I know at least 4 kids that loved the first story so much (and I will admit, I had a lot of fun reading it to them, I did sound affects and everything for the lightning storm scene, they loved that) that they're just itching to know what happens in the next adventure. I'll need to check my files and see where I am in the sequel, see if my illustrator feels like contributing without being paid :-) and then get down to business.

It'll be fun revisiting the faerie family and writing in two new characters too! All the faeries are named with a combination of my kids first and middle names, so now that I have two grand faeries, I'll have to come up with names for the two new faeries in the story. I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully I'll have it done by Christmas, and give each of them a copy of their very own.