Saturday, March 28, 2009

Adventures in No TV

Last week the kids took a much needed week off tv and xbox. I had begun to notice that they were quoting more and more lines from Hannah, iCarly and Batman, and centering more and more discussions on strategies and techniques in their favorite games. To me, when kids begin to do that it's a flaming red flag that says they're spending way too much time with such things. So, we took a solid week off both.

The funny thing is, it didn't really bother them at all. They didn't moan and groan around the house about how bored they were (which is good) but they immediately found other things to occupy them in their spare time. They played more board games, played outside more on the good weather days, and listened to more cds than usual. One of the things that really surprised me was how quickly their recently aquired Adventures in Odyssey collection (very small collection of only a few cds) became the favorite thing to listen to for all four of them.

I knew that this show had been on the radio for many years and I've even listened to it myself while running errands, but until I did some research, I had no idea there was so much available (cds, dvds, etc.). Only because we don't get the local Christian radio station out here in the country, all the kids have never heard this radio show until this past week when they all listened to their cds. It was really nice to see them all sitting on the couch, listening intently to the stories and following along with what was happening. They LOVED it, and I love the message.

I have to take a closer look at the cds they have, and go through the site and see which ones they would like to add to their collection. I'm hoping to find them used for much less, but even the brand new ones are a really good price. I'm actually surprised I haven't connected the dots with this resource for the kids before. It just sorta flew right over my head, somehow.

I'm really glad our adventures in no TV turned into an adventure of another kind! Oh, and if anyone reading happens to have these cds sitting around unused, I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands for you.



Great Christian t-shirts and gift ideas for the whole family
reflections at zazzle too!