Saturday, February 7, 2009

Saturday Stuff

I used to say that I could pretty much post anything on a Saturday, and it would go unnoticed because no one reads the blog on a Saturday. That was before I posted something sorta controversial (I can't even remember what it was) and got a zillion comments before I even knew anyone was reading. Just goes to show you, right when you think you have something figured out, you realize you didn't know as much about it as you thought you did. Moving right along... here are just a few things in mind today:

Today is the first day it's been THIS far above the freezing mark, since the week after Christmas. The high today is 45F and we're losing lots of snow already. YAY! I'm glad to see it go. Now of course I realize there's more winter left, but I'm taking this blessing of a little break and going to enjoy it VERY much.

The VisitorI watched a really good movie last night called The Visitor. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. The product description at amazon reads this way:

Hailed as "one of the year's most intriguing dramas" (Claudia Puig, USA TODAY), The Visitor stars Richard Jenkins (Six Feet Under) in a perfect performance (Lisa Schwarzbaum, ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY) as Walter, a disaffected college professor who has been drifting aimlessly through his life. When, in a chance encounter on a trip into New York, Walter discovers a couple has taken up residence in his apartment in the city, he develops an unexpected and profound connection to them that will change his life forever. As challenges arise for his tenants, Walter finds himself compelled to help his new friends, and rediscovers a passion he thought he had lost long ago. The year's first genuine must-see film" (Ann Hornaday, THE WASHINGTON POST) about rediscovering life's rhythms in the most unexpected places

I find inspiration for new t-shirt designs in the strangest places. Dreams, movies, something someone said, and even once in a bowl of jellybeans. Yep, it's true. Here's what popped into my head last night, after considering one of the most comforting verses in all of Scripture, Philippians 1:6:

Consider this: no matter where you are right now, no matter how you react to situations, no matter your failures or your little victories, God is quite literally not done with you yet. Indeed He will continue to grow you up and turn you into the person He has called you to be. This is not an excuse to say "well God's not done with me yet!" but it is encouragement to remember that there is still yet work to be done. You and I are in fact, Unfinished Business.

All by myself (with a minimal amount of aid from google, my faithful assistant), I took my oven apart yesterday, removed what was left of the bake element that exploded recently, took the partial element to the hardware store and bought a new one. I came home, installed it, then put my oven back together. In honor of this momentus occasion, we had pizza for dinner.

Okay that probably doesn't sound like much of a big deal to most people, but it's pretty monumental stuff for me for one reason: I never, ever (ever!) attempt to fix anything electrical. Anything electrical in disrepair gives me the major willies. However, when I read on google how easy it really is to do this and do it correctly, I knew I could do it, and I did. The funny part of the Great Oven Adventure story, is that when I arrived at the hardware store, the first associate to ask me if I needed help locating anything, was one of my elders! I didn't even know he worked there. Even funnier, is that he told me 2 other men in my church also work there. Now just how handy is that?

And with that, it is now time to conquer Mt. Unfolded Laundry. I hope you have a great Saturday.


Great Christian t-shirts and gift ideas for the whole family
reflections at zazzle too!