Saturday, January 10, 2009

Prayers for Kev (Updated)

UPDATE(S) BELOW

Sunday morning Kev and I got up, got the kids and ourselves ready for church, and 30 minutes before it was time to leave, we were both hit with a wickedly painful stomach thing. We both recovered later in the day, but then Kev's came back yesterday at work. He didn't sleep much at all last night, and was up most of the night with all the yucky symptoms the ER doctor will ask you about when assessing you.

So, since he can't drive, school is cancelled for the day and we're going on a field trip to the ER to have him seen, and hopefully diagnosed with a relatively harmless diagnosis, treated and sent home to rest and recover. That's our prayer, anyway. Would you please join us in prayer for him, along with my mom who's in surgery today?

UPDATE:

This is more or less the email I sent to friends/family just a little bit ago:

Kev's been feeling awful for days, we both had bad stomach aches Sunday and missed church but he was feeling better to go back to work yesterday. He came home last night doubled over in pain and spent the night throwing up and unable to sleep. This morning I insisted he go to ER and after some convincing on my part, he gave in.

After waiting forever (or 4 hours) he was seen, poked, prodded, questioned and taken down for an ultrasound. Doctor's suspicions and ultrasound results confirmed he has an inflamed appendix so they started him on IV antibiotics and called in the surgeon. Surgery is scheduled for 7pm tonight. Apparently we got him there not a moment too soon, but I have no idea what that really means since I don't know what happens for sure when your appendix bursts, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to know. I know he's in the best place he could be right now, and in God's hands. He's never had surgery before, never even had an IV before, so he was a little creeped out, to say the least. We did pray before I left to pick up the kids at Jessica's, but I felt horrible leaving him there. :-(

I'm at home with the kids now, and his sister and mom are coming up from London to be there with him before/after surgery.

I know I forgot something but for now, I think that's all I know. Please pray for him, his surgeon, and me and the kids. They're fine but I think I need to cry now.

UPDATE #2

Kev was taken in for surgery at 6:45. The kids and I prayed at 7:30 that it would go well, that Kev would be both comforted and comfortable and feel nothing, that it would be both uneventful and successful. Just a few minutes after we prayed the phone rang and it was Kev's sister telling us surgery was over, it was successful, uneventful and he was doing quite well in recovery. Needless to say there was much rejoicing and sighing in relief.

I just spoke to him on the phone, and I asked how he was feeling and he slurred his giggling response and said "I'm doin' stuff without even doin' stuff!" Apparently the pain medication is working just fine. He's excited that our pastor is bringing some books for him tomorrow, and his favorite coffee.

Praise the Lord, it all went very well. He should be home in 2-3 days and then it's just a matter of rest and recovery. Thank you all so much for your prayers, calls, emails, and expressions of compassion. He will be blessed to read them all when he gets home (and the drugs wear off).

UPDATE #3

I meant to update when I got home from the hospital last night but I had so much to do, then one thing led to the other and I just forgot. In any case, Kev had a bit of discomfort coming off the strong pain med and switching over to the not-so-strong stuff, at first. Eventually the new meds did kick in and he felt pretty good, all things considered. He's been surprised to have so many visitors and phone calls, and I hope that keeps up :-) it's cheering him up quite a bit. We still don't know when he's going to be able to come home or how long he's going to be off work, but I suspect we'll know more about that today. Thank you all so much for your continued thoughts and prayers and asking about him (and us).

Today, the kids and I are going to move the couch he always sits on. It's pretty "cushy" and for a non-post-operative person it's just fine to sit on. For someone with a healing abdominal incision however, it will be impossible for him to sit there, so it has to go. It should be fun to rearrange furniture and make him a new place to sit and rest while he's recovering.

The weather has been tricky for me the last couple of days, and since I cannot drive in the snow and ice we've been having to be very strategic about when we go into the hospital and how long we stay. We have heavy snow in the forecast today as well, so we'll be playing it by ear (and weather updates) as to when we can get into town. I'll update again later today when I know more.

UPDATE #4

Time seems to be getting away from me quite a bit lately, and I suppose that explains the lack of updates here on my two prayer requests for my mom and Kevin.

Mom first:

My mom's eye procedure was a success, and after 4 days of being face down during recovery she seems to be doing okay - although being face down for 4 days has been rather miserable. Thank you all so much for your prayers and thoughts about my dear mom.

Kev:

Kev was released from the hospital yesterday morning, and we spent the day fussing over him, feeding him pizza and then having movie night. He's moving really slow, learning how to cough or laugh without hurting himself (which isn't easy) and really glad to be home, on solid foods and in his own familiar surroundings. For those who've been asking about me, yes, I'm very tired, and very busy. It's just the way it goes, and will continue to go for a good month or more, until he's cleared to get back to his normal routine, and work.


Great Christian t-shirts and gift ideas for the whole family