Thursday, January 1, 2009

A New Year - A New Venture

When I was a little girl, one of the things that always made Christmas special to me was my mom's dedication to her traditions. She didn't have a lot of them, and she wasn't necessarily pushy about those traditions, it was just the little things she did every year that made it such a wonderful time. One of those things that she did every year, was fill our candy ribbons and have them hanging by December 15th. They were very simple ribbons that held 10 candies, with a jingle bell at the bottom. On the very top were each of our names, my sister, my brother and mine. Directly under that, was a little poem:

December 15th till Christmas is the longest time of the year.
Seems as tho ole Santa Claus never will appear.
How many days to go? It's mighty hard to count!
So this little candy ribbon will tell you the amount.
Untie a candy every night, when the sandman casts his spell,
and Christmas eve will be here, by the time you reach the bell!

Yep, I typed all that from memory. It's easy to do when you grew up saying it every year, for 10 nights in a row, with your brother and sister. When we were little, mom would read it with us, and when we got older she'd insist we read it outloud together before we could untie one of our candies. Years later when I grew up and had kids of my own, mom made brand new candy ribbons for them, and I fell right in line with mom's tradition and insisted they read it outloud also. :-) Moms get to do stuff like that. When I had more kids than I had ribbons, I had to make new ones for them, and I changed the poem just slightly to replace Santa Claus with Christmas Eve. We don't do the "Santa" thing, so the change just made sense.

While lots of folks have all kinds of nifty little ways to pass the days at Christmastime, most everyone who's ever seen our candy ribbons hanging in our home during the holiday season comments that they've never seen anything like these before. I never realized how uncommon these particular things are, until I googled it last year about this time. I've seen a few of them online, but none that look like these.

Christmas Candy RibbonI got to thinking about it, and how the tradition holds such a warm spot for me in Christmas Memory Lane. After talking it over with my mom, I decided that I'd like to make these available to other families who might like to start their own fond family tradition this way. Well, I did a lot of talking about it and thinking about it but I never actually did anything about it all year long. This year when my own kids recited the poem each night, I found some motivation to actually do something about my idea.

You can find these cute little ribbons right here at Starla's Handcrafted. This new venture is named after both my mom and myself, a combination of our names :-) So far I only have the one color on display, but will be adding red, blue and maybe other colors as well. Deep purple has been suggested, but I'm open to various colors and thankfully the fabric store has every color under the rainbow. I love making these, and I only hope they bring other families as much fun as they brought to mine as a little girl, and bring to my own kids every year. It's a small thing, but it's the small things that make for dearly treasured childhood memories. I do hope these are enjoyed as much as I am enjoying making them. If you like these little items, please do consider telling your friends and sharing the link?

Oh, and Happy New Year everyone!




Great Christian t-shirts and gift ideas for the whole family