Monday, December 1, 2008

Shopping, Musing, Crushed Foot and an Alberta Clipper

... or, as a possible alternate title:

What I did with my weekend, and why am I so weird?

These days it feels like normal is out the window and scattershot is the new normal. One of the good things about being so busy, it's that it often affords a good amount of thinking-time. Friday was not one of those days, since I spent the day cleaning & reorganizing one of the kid's bedrooms. Rachel is moving into her own room, so all her stuff needed to be cleared out, and since I was already doing that I figured the room needed a good ole fashioned deep clean. Furniture moved, everything vaccuumed that need it, etc. As I was working on taking her ridiculously heavy old bed apart, with the last bolt holding the footboard to the frame, the frame came crashing to the floor with my foot underneath. Two of the kids jumped and screamed, and so I asked them if when they were done screaming, they might lift the frame off my foot. Yeeeouchers that one hurt.

Saturday, I did a major shopping trip. I hadn't even started my Christmas shopping, so on Saturday I spent the better part of 4 hours in various stores in London finding the best bargains. For those that know me, or even for those that have known me for longer than roughly 11.4 seconds, you well know how much I hate shopping. Shopping is 14 minutes from parking the car to going in & getting exactly what I need then getting out as fast as I can, and back to my car. So, this 4 hours business on Saturday was huge for me, not to mention utterly exhausting. The good news is I did not turn into a cave troll, no one got hurt, and I came home with stuff I wanted, and wrapped it all Saturday night.

A Very Mylo Christmas, indeed!While I was shopping, Kev took the kids hiking. I have no idea what any of us were thinking, but I know it left us all completely wiped out for church on Sunday. Major bummer too because we had a guest preacher that I really really wanted to hear speak. Normally, I'm a fairly organized super-mom and can get kids ready for church in a single bound, but this weekend I was not, and I'm sorry for it. So part of Sunday was spent recovering from Saturday, and the other part was decorating for Christmas, inside and out. Kev did the outside lights while I finished setting up my mini-village & other things, while listening to A Very Mylo Christmas. This is a great cd, and if you don't have yours yet, there's one waiting for you. Just click the cd cover and you're on your way to a brand new, favorite Christmas cd tradition!

During the weekend I read the news about Black Friday shopping disasters and how Cyber Monday for online retailers is supposed to be really good this year. I don't know about all that, but here's what I know for sure: shopping online you are almost 100% guaranteed not to get shot, trampled, or be at a loss for a place to park. The bonus is, you can shop in your favorite jammies with a steaming hot cup of your favorite beverage! Toward that end, I've re-designed the storefront at Reflections Apparel and Gifts, for easier navigation & faster loading. I'm quite pleased with the way it turned out, and I hope others are too. Here's another cool thing - for a limited time you can get FREE SHIPPING when you spend $50.00 or more. You could shop for all your favorite people and be done before your hot cocoa is gone, and get free shipping in the process. You can't beat that!

In other store news, I created a fun little video.



A very special thanks to Ron, Eddie, Mylo, Susan, Rebecca and Elizabeth-Kay. We're glad to have our Reflections Supermodels donate their services for these things.

Finally, last night we got nailed with the very edge of an Alberta Clipper. We didn't get as much snow as some other places, but we got A LOT and I'll definitely be shovelling before I make an attempt to back the van out of the driveway today. Along with the snow were strong winds that brought down quite a few branches, that are littered all over the yard. I haven't checked the weather-damage news yet, but I suspect this will be the common story of the day here.

During the course of the weekend I also had some time to think about things that just don't make any sense to me. Things like twitter, and candy cane egg nog. Who comes up with these things? Apparently twitter is like micro-blogging and brevity is the new black. Yeah, and I'm Peter Pan. Actually I'm Peter Pan and longwinded, so I just don't quite "get" twitter, even though I have a twitter account. Who knows. As for candy cane egg nog, I'm just not even sure this isn't a culinary felony, in some ways. No, I haven't tried it yet, everything in me says "taste bud violation, do not proceed!" I may be forced to try it, just to be sure.

And with that, Happy December 1st. Time to stoke the fire, wash the dishes and start school.


Great Christian t-shirts and gift ideas for the whole family