Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Isaiah 55:11 - A Divine Energy

At some point during Sunday morning's windstorm, the wind caught a piece of aluminum siding on the living room porch, and ripped it right off. I didn't know it at the time, all I saw was what looked like a large piece of paper flying through the yard and landing out near the corn field. I had no idea it was aluminum siding because of the way it was flapping around in the wind, and I didn't know where it came from until the storm was over. After realizing what it was, my first thought was "I am SO glad no one was out there!" I can't even begin to imagine the physical damage that would have taken place had that sharp projectile met up with human flesh.

This got me to thinking about all the times I've heard Christian testimonies where the person came to Christ later in life, after having lived in the world for a good many years, and the person testifying about how just living the lifestyle they did, they should have been dead. Obviously, God orchestrated events so that no one was in the way of the aluminum siding, and likewise all the Christians I know that have ever said "I should have been dead" were also spared by God's providence and mercy, regardless of their reckless and irresponsible lifestyles. I'm one of those people. Minus the gruesome details, there were more than a few times in my adult, unsaved life that were it not for God's grace, I would have never made it to 44.

I have nothing earthshattering or profound to add to that fact, except to simply say how grateful I am that God is indeed completely sovereign over His people, and cares for us in ways we can't even begin to imagine. In part, this is why Isaiah 55:11 is what I consider my "life verse" or the one verse of Scripture that stands out for me and declares truth in such a bold way. In the KJV, that verse reads this way:

So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing that can alter God's intentions. Whatever is to be done according to His wisdom, will be done. Regardless of me, or you, or my big ideas or plans, or anything else on earth, God's will BE done. I love the way John Gill put it when he said of God's word being accomplished "it is accompanied with a divine energy". Ever since the first time I read Isaiah 55 many years ago, I found an incredible amount of comfort and assurance in the truths of God's sovereignty found there. I would encourage you to read it today, and likewise find that same comfort and assurance.


Great Christian t-shirts and gift ideas for the whole family