Friday, November 7, 2008

Friday Bloggelaneous

Lots of mini posts that don't really warrant posts of their own. Sounds like a good enough definition to me.

- First on the agenda today: Store Stuff! So the reflections weekly newsletter is up, but there are 2 brand spankin' new designs that didn't make it into the newsletter since they weren't done until after the newsletter had already gone out. Here they are! Believe it or not, "mom likes me best" is our most popular shirt. So, since folks like this design so much I decided to offer a couple of different styles to add to the one we already have. For whatever reason, folks really like this very simple design. I know the next family reunion/event I go to, I'm wearing mine. :-) (By the way, at the suggestion of a really smart web guru type, I've added commenting to the store's front page. Said guru told me that folks like visiting sites where they can interact by way of commenting, so I went ahead and put the comment feature there. Sure enough, the very first day a world famous rock star showed up and left a comment! It's true, go see for yourself). Here are the two new "mom likes" designs. I hope folks like, too.

mom likes me best mom likes ME best!

- Even more store stuff, is my zazzle stuff: Dark Hoodies, Outerwear, Shoes and Tote Bags. Now here's the cool thing about zazzle: If you see a design you like on a piece of apparel that you don't like, but you prefer a different type of apparel, you can actually try it on, on different styles. It's a pretty nifty tool, and saves a lot of guess work. The perfect gift for someone on your Christmas list, is only clicks away! :-)

- I woke up early this morning to catch the sunrise and enjoy my coffee on the deck for one last time this year. Okay that's not true at all. I woke up after a horrible, fitful night of tossing and turning and a maximum 4 hours of sleep. I figured since I was up, I might as well go watch the sunrise. I had a horrible night because...

- I'm sick. Sicker than I've been in a long time. For the last 3-4 weeks I've had brutal cold symptoms that seem to go away, then come back. It makes no sense, but that's the deal. I've missed church for 2 weeks in a row and that stinks big time. The past week has been the worst and the miserable sinus junk has now turned into miserable chest cold junk. I'm trying to avoid taking anything too strong so I don't get all wonky (drowsy and stupid) or zippy (wired and spastic). I hate both kinds of drug-induced wonk and zip, but sometimes I have to give in and take it, then I'm even more miserable. Someone once told me to take ester-c to ward off this junk, so I think I'll be getting some of that. In spite of being sick as a dog...

- The flexibility of homeschooling is really a wonderful thing. Monday morning we declared this Fall Cleanup Week. We scaled back on several subjects in school and after morning devotion, Bible study and current events, we all headed out to take full advantage of the weather and get the place ready for winter. This means cleaning up all the toys & yard tools, bringing in a few garden decorations, rounding up all the bikes and putting them in the garage, taking down the trampoline, and that sort of thing. It also meant putting up the Christmas lights, but we didn't quite make it that far. They're ready to go up, we just had so much else to do that it never happened. We missed the window of opportunity last year, and didn't have outdoor lights. That was a first for me, and I didn't much like it. We actually have a rain/snow mix in the forecast for Monday, so I just hope we didn't miss that window again this year.

- Do you like to waste time online? Me TOO! Some time ago, it became a running joke in #prosapologian that my dial up connection is so slow, that it's actually run by squirrels. To be specific, fat, lazy Canadian squirrels that would rather watch hockey than run my connection. Once, someone "kidnapped" my squirrels and took them on vacation to the sunny southern states where they were pampered and fussed over so much, they decided they didn't want to come back to Canada. So, the other night someone posted this link, and thought of me. I have to tell you, I have never had so much fun launching rodents. Watch them right before they get launched, they put their wee little aviator glasses on for saftey. How cute is that!? (For the record, these are definitely not the same rodents that run my dial up connection, these little guys are much faster).

- The big news story in the greater Toronto area today, is the xbox boy. It's truly a heartbreaking case. Ticked off after dad took away his xbox he ran away, and has been found deceased. This is a horrible thing that should have never happened in the first place, but it's certainly not uncommon in our day. Earlier this week another headline reported the story of an 18 year old that slashed him mom with a knife when she pulled the plug on his myspace account. I've read several cases of siblings fighting to death, literally, over game box controllers, and who's turn it was to play. Over and over again the headlines are filled with case after case of another young person that went ballistic because mommy and/or daddy took away their electronic entertainment - or someone else prevented them from playing or being online.

I could easily make this a post all on it's own, but suffice it to say for now, parents: LIMIT your kids' use of electronic stimulation/entertainment. It IS addictive, so don't let your kids go there. Set rules for this stuff and enforce them, even if it makes you the bad guy. Keep all this sort of thing (computers, game consoles, etc.) in a common family area such as the living room, rec room, etc., and do NOT let your kids have this stuff in their bedrooms. If you do, they WILL be on in when you've told them not to be, and they will quite possibly become e-junkies. Almost every time I read a news story like this, the parents say the same thing "I never realized this could happen to my child". It can, and it does. It IS within your power to control it, so do it.


Great Christian t-shirts and gift ideas for the whole family