Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Midweek Randomness

I like things neat and orderly. If one were to look at my desk however, or the unfolded baskets of laundry strategically located throughout my house, one would never believe that. I said I like things neat and orderly, but so far that hasn't rubbed off on the short people in my house. I only hope one day that it will. Until then, my desk will likely continue to be the repository for all things miscellaneous, and the baskets of laundry will decorate my home. However, I digress, as usual.

Because I like things neat and orderly, I would much prefer that the four seasons strictly adhere to my calendar. My calendar says that we have 3 equal months of each season, winter, spring, summer and fall. Each one should only be 3 months long then, correct? This is not the case in southern Ontario. Oh no, not at all. Here, the seasons breakdown like this:

Spring: 3.5 weeks between mid-May and mid-June
Summer: mid-June through mid-September (Summer is more than cooperative, we appreciate that)
Fall: mid-September through mid-October
Winter: begins somewhere in mid/late October and generally lasts well into May

Yep, we have winter-like weather here, icy winds, snow, snow and more snow and freezing rain, for roughly 6-7 months of the year. I'm not making this up! Okay fine, maybe I'm stretching it a bit, but not much. Frankly, winter in Southern Ontario is too long, too cold, too miserable and completely out of line as per the calender. Shame on on winter for being so selfish!

In other news...

Who are the folks that come up with car names? Like Firebird or Montana? I need to speak to this panel of geniuses, because I'm having an issue here. Recently we were able to finally get a second vehicle. Yay! When you have 900 kids and live in the middle of nowhere, having one vehicle is generally not a good idea. We've been a one vehicle family for almost 11 years, and it's been a real challenge on many levels. So, we now have a second (used, but in great shape) vehicle. Our van, which has 47 trillion kilometers on it (I think that means it's been to the moon 14,000 times and back, or something like that) now stays parked unless the entire family is going out to church, or some other whole-family event. The car is used for everything else.

Now let me just say, I love this car. The first time I drove it I thought "hey, this feels like my Camaro" (which by the way, means friend in French and shrimp in Spanish, according to the nice folks at Chevy-Camaro.com). Our new (used) car hugs the road, takes corners in an almost liquid-like fashion, and just handles really well overall. It fits well, it drives well, and it was made just for me. I know this because yesterday before I got it in, I noticed how dirty it was and thought "oh, I need to wash the car". I have never ONCE had that thought about the van. I don't care what is on that van, I've never had any desire to wash the outside OR clean the inside. Clearly then, the van is Kevin's and the car is mine.

I just don't like what it's called. See, somewhere someone is driving one and looking down his nose at other drivers in an arrogant way saying things like "ha, you desperate and lowly peasant, you drive that second class Dodge Caravan while I take corners like liquid in my wonderful Chevy Cavalier!" Who decided to call this car such a mean thing? I need to speak to this person. I love the car, I just don't like it's name. I think I'm going to change it to Earl. No one named Earl is ever arrogant and snooty. While I'm at it, I think I'll change the name of the van too, to something really ugly, and old, well past it's shelf life. Like, Mold, or something? I dunno, I'll come up with something I'm sure.

And with that, it's time to get back to school.

Speaking of school, our new schedule this year is a wee bit trickier than I thought it would be. I've added a few extra things during the course of the week, and getting us in sync with new schedules has been a real challenge. It's good though because it expands their experiences quite a bit. Just adding public library day and public swimming pool day has been lots of fun. Having Earl, we can do that where we couldn't do that before. Yes, we really like Earl.



Great Christian t-shirts and gift ideas for the whole family