Tuesday, October 14, 2008

How to Keep Bitterness at Bay

Like anyone else I'm sure, there are some things in my life (unresolved, unfixable, or just downright frustrating) that if I let them, could be the source of quite a large dose of bitterness. Every time I pray, one of those things comes to mind and I of course pray that the Lord would be gracious and spare me a bitter attitude on that particular issue. I suppose this issue comes to mind because it's one that could quite easily cause bitterness for me.

Due to the fact that I'm mindful of this every day (and not by choice), it's an every day effort to fight against bitterness. I try to keep a "half full, not half empty" attitude, and be thankful that things aren't worse. I try to keep it in perspective and remember that there are other really great things to dwell on that outshine this one thing. I try really hard to be content as the Scripture says we're do to.

"But godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment. For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either. If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content." (1Tim. 6:6-8)
Truth is, it's just a lot easier to be content with certain things, than it is with others. There are some situations and circumstances that are relatively easy to put on the back burner so to speak, and not allow them to pick at you and cause you discontentment. Then there are other situations and circumstances that simply will not go away and pick at you all day long, every day, without fail. It's those things that are present and accounted for each and every day that are unresolved or in an unrepaired state, that can easily cause bitterness to take hold.

I wonder, have any of you read a particular book or heard a certain sermon or teaching that was especially helpful to you on the subject of bitterness? Do you ever find yourself struggling with this and have particular verses of Scripture that you meditate on to reform your thoughts? I welcome any and all feedback on this subject, and look forward to your thoughts.



Great Christian t-shirts and gift ideas for the whole family