Friday, July 18, 2008

Whip Crackin' Update1

On June 17th I wrote about starting an exercise program. I decided that since it's been a month, I'd go ahead and update my progress. In a way, I really don't want to since that means I have to be transparent and tell my readers what a genuine wimp I am. On the other hand, however, being a public, transparent wimp is part of what is helping to keep me feeling accountable. I knew I was going to update this so I knew I had to have something to account for. Eeek!

So I started a workout plan the same day I posted last month. I picked M-F to do my workout and gave myself weekends off. In the last month I've only missed two days - one was because I mowed the lawn and was exhausted and the other was because I just got so busy with other things I completely forgot until I was falling asleep that night. Here's what I'm doing, along with how many I could do on day one (you'll laugh, it's funny) and how many I can do now:

Sit ups (day one: 7 - one month later: 15)
Leg ups (day one: 4 - one month later: 7 [these are really hard!])
Standing Side leg lifts (day one: 8 each side - one month later: 16 each side)
Standing Back lef lifts (day one: 8 each side - one month later: 24 each side)
Push ups (day one: 5 - one month later: 15)
Side bends: (day one: 12 - one month later: 24)

The hardest thing for me to do, are the leg lifts. Flat on your back, hands palms down and tucked slightly under the edge of your bottom, lifting your legs up slowly until your toes point to the ceiling. Please. All I can say is, after having 7 kids and never really trying to do these again since highschool (I used to do these in gym class, and I could do more than all the other girls), this is THE exercise that I clearly need the most, since it's the hardest one to do. "It burns us, it freeeeezes!"

As for actually losing any weight, I'm not even sure I care about that right now. I'm more concerned with toning and strengthening. With that said however, on day one I was 165 and as of yesterday I'm 163. So I did lose 2 pounds. Yay! I don't plan on weighing myself again until August 17th, so we'll see what happens between now and then.

I'd very much like to add swmming to my routine, for a twice weekly head-to-toe workout. Many moons ago I also used to swim laps and I loved it. When school starts in the fall I might check into a rotating swimming plan for the 2 weeks a month I'm off teaching and Kev's the teacher. I go into town and run errands at least twice a week while he's teaching, so I might as well just add an hour to my agenda and get some laps in too at the local indoor pool!

As soon as I can talk him into it, Kev's moving my stationary bike (yes, the coat rack) into the laundry room where I do my workout, and I'll be adding that to my routine as well.

I'll update again in a month, and hopefully have some even better news. Blogging this is actually kind of embarassing in a way, but that's probably the part that helps motivate me to actually do the work. Another reason I decided to blog it, is that in case there's someone reading who wants to get started on this as well, I hope I can be an encouragement to you. If this wimpy, anti-exercise mom can do it, so can you. :-)



Great Christian t-shirts and gift ideas for the whole family