Monday, July 21, 2008

WANTED: Informed, reliable advice from a certified gizmo geek on the pending purchase of 2 electronic devices - inquire within

How's that for an attention grabbing headline, eh? :-)

Okay, here's the scoop. There are 2 things I want, but because I'm seriously ignorant of the best deals out there on these sorts of things, I'm really really hoping my readers will pipe up with the best advice EVER, on both products.

Product #1: Combo vcr-dvd recorder. I have TONS of vhs tapes, and I want to convert them all (or most of them anyway) to dvd. I could take them in and have it done professionally, but that would cost a fortune to do them all. What I want then, is one unit that both plays vhs tapes AND records them onto blank dvds, at the same time. I know there are several brands out there but I don't know which one is the best deal, most reliable, easiest to use, etc.

Product #2: personal mp3 player. iPod-ish type product that doesn't have to have the iPod name, but does the same thing. I know absolutely nothing about the features of an mp3 player, but I know what I want. I want a wee little unit that I can download sermons, radio shows, webcasts, etc., and pop into my little player and listen to while I'm doing housework or yardwork.

For the mp3 player, I really don't want anything with bells and whistles, just something simple to use. For both products, I want as inexpensive as possible, but also as reliable as possible. I realize there are tons to choose from in both products from various brand names and various price ranges, so this is where the gizmo geek expertise comes in. If possible, I'd just like to eliminate the "oh man, I can't believe I didn't buy THIS one!" scenario that tends to happen so often when I make a purchase like this.

While I need good advice on both products, my first intended purchase is the dvd-vhs combo unit, so that's priority for me right now.

I look forward to your replies! Oh, and please do leave links if you have those handy as well.


Great Christian t-shirts and gift ideas for the whole family