Saturday, July 12, 2008

Midsummer Saturday Miscellania

I've been super busy the last few days, so here's just a few things on my mind:

• This week's newsletter is online, with a couple of really great ways to save $$ and some fun new designs.

• Doppleganger Spotting? For as long as I can remember, I've had this weird habit of spotting ordinary folk, and pointing out/noticing which celebrity they look like. Sometimes it's pretty funny, and sometimes its almost eery. Yesterday while out running errands I spotted two Celeb Dopplegangers. The first one I saw twice, once coming out of a Payless Shoes with his purchase and then later in WalMart: John Piper. Who knew he shops in Woodstock Ontario? The second one was the "collect the shopping carts from the parking lot" man at the grocery store: Freddie Mercury. Heh, so that's where he's really been all these years!

• Baby Ruth the Butterfinger (aka my youngest kiddie) is having a pool party today. She turned 5 this week, and so today is party time!! Supposed to be a high of about 90 with t-storms to come later this afternoon, so let's hope the Lord keeps them at bay until after the pinata whacking! (Soggy pinatas are a great way to ruin any 5 year old's party).

• Words Matter. Yes indeed they do, and the more I think about it, the more I say it, the more I am deeply convicted by it. They matter when you're discipling children, teaching or preaching, writing a blog post or an email, expressing your joy or grief, and in just about every other context known to human expression. You know what though? Grace matters too, and sometime soon I'm going to dig around there and see about lining up grace with truth in how we (me, more than anyone else) actually go about doing that. I know I fail at it often, and Scripture is as clear as it can be that we're to be about both.

• New batteries rock. Well, the kind I bought do, anyway. My rechargables had been losing their "charge holding power" for a while now, so I bought Rayovac Hybrid Rechargables the other day. WOW, are these things incredibly powerful. I stood at my desk, zoomed across the room and out the window and across the yard, and shot a crystal clear image of a cardinal in the birch tree. Color me impressed.

• I haven't made Ruth's cake yet. I'm going to the kitchen now to do that (by request: devil's food cake with fudge frosting - she IS her mama's best girl!).

Have a great Saturday, and make it a memorable one, no matter what you're doing. I'll be posting LOTS of pictures later, I hope.


Great Christian t-shirts and gift ideas for the whole family