Wednesday, June 18, 2008

mmm... coookie

Not too long ago I was chatting with this dear lady, and she mentioned to me that she had purchased a package of key lime shortbread cookies. I said "WHAT did you say?" I'd never heard of such a creature, but I figured since I love both key lime pie and shortbread cookies, these must be insanely delicious. She assured me they indeed were, insanely delicious.

So, I went trudging around the internet looking for a recipe, hoping that they weren't what this dear lady (who had some today while sitting in my kitchen for a much overdue visit) calls "fussy cookies". You know the kind, all the special steps and preps to make them taste and look anything remotely like an appetizing cookie. I did find several recipes but the one I settled on looked like one I could easily adapt to make my own version, because I cannot ever leave well enough alone. :-)

Here it is:

Glazed Key Lime ShortbreadsGlazed Key Lime Shortbreads

Cookie dough:

1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. cornstarch
1 c. butter - softened
1 T. lime juice*
2 t. grated lime peel*

Combine flour, sugar and cornstarch in a large bowl and set aside. In a seperate bowl, beat the butter until creamy, then add flour mixture and remaining ingredients - beat until a dough forms.

Seperate the dough into two equal portions and form 10" logs with each portion. Wrap each log in plastic wrap and refridgerate 2 hours.**

Slice the chilled dough into 1/4" inch slices and place 1" apart on a non-greased cookie sheet.*** Bake for 10 minutes at 350.

Let cool completely and then glaze.

GLAZE:

Combine 1 1/4 c. powdered sugar, 1 t. lime peel and 2 or 3 T. of lime juice. Whisk until blended and pour into a ziplock sandwich bag. When the cookies are cooled, snip a very small corner of the bag to squeeze out the glaze.

* You can easily substitute lemon juice & lemon peel, or orange juice and orange peel.
** I made one log last week that yielded 30 cookies, and left the other log in the fridge until today, and it was still quite fresh.
*** I always use parchment paper for baking cookies that call for non-greased cookie sheets. The cookies never overbrown on the bottom and the cookie sheets stay clean. Just let them cool then put them away!


They may look like fussy cookies, but they're really not. What's more, they're insanely yummy! These make the perfect summer cookie to take along on a picnic, church fellowship lunch, or just to make something a little different.





Great Christian t-shirts and gift ideas for the whole family