Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Old Bags

(What follows is a girly, cosmetic product review - just wanted to be clear on that for the few male readers I have)

For as long as I can remember, I've been one of those people that have dark under-eye circles. It's just the way it is. Even pictures of me as a little kid show them very well (long before I discovered under-eye cover up, so I don't have to look like the undead). Of course when I've been sick or haven't had enough sleep (which is, pretty much every day for the last 25+ years), these dark circles are even more noticable.

I honestly don't know why people do this, but something I have heard for the last 25+ years (from friends and complete strangers as well) is "you look tired". Part of that is because I have natural dark circles under my eyes, the other part is that over the last quarter century I've had 7 kids. People with 7 kids are tired, it's pretty much just the way it works out.

The thing is, I just can't figure why someone would say to someone else, "you look tired". I mean, what if someone had a big ole angry pimple right in the middle of their forehead and someone came to them and said "you look lumpy". Or what if someone had a weight problem and always heard "you look round". What in the world possesses people to point out the physical flaws of another person, right TO that person? Do they think we don't know? I just don't get it.

As a result, whether vain or or not, I have sort of developed this issue with my dark circles. I suppose if I never heard anyone comment about the way I look, I may have never really given it much concern - but that isn't the way it's worked out. So, even though I really dislike wearing makeup, I began to use under-eye concealer about 20 years ago. Truth be told, it doesn't really work. Okay it works kinda-sorta-but-not-really. It lightens the area a little, but it's still plain that you have dark circles. At least that's the way it works for me.

So then, what's a girl to do?

Really there are only a few options. I could completely detach myself from caring about this at all, and embrace my dark circleness (or accent it with goth-style makeup and really freak people out). I could keep buying and wearing inexpensive under eye concealer so that I don't quite look like the undead, or I could buy some of that ridiculously expensive under eye cream that makes all kinds of fancy promises about youthful looking skin and visibly removing the appearance of being an old bat. The other option I suppose is some sort of spooky cosmetic surgical procedure that involves needles and pain in the delicate area under the eye. I'm not a great big advocate of needles OR pain, so that one doesn't really qualify as an option for me. The goth look is out too, I don't want to scare/embarass my kids or my granddaughter.

What I did do, was set aside a little here and a little there (yes, it's THAT expensive, if you've never checked the prices) and bought some of that Fancy Pants expensive eye cream that makes all those claims about "regenerate" eyes and youthful appearance. What it actually says is that it visibly reduces the appearance of dark circles. It says you're supposed to use it twice a day. Okay - that's what I've been doing for 3 weeks today.

Is it working? Well... on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being "rip-off" and 10 being "w00t!", I'd have to give it a 2.5 which is technically a "meh". I can't say it has had zero affect, but I can't say it's really made any kind of a significant difference, either. I don't know how long you're supposed to use it before it's really supposed to kick in (it doesn't say) but I will continue to use it until it's gone.

Worst case scenario - it wasn't worth the money and the cheap under eye concealer is still my friend. I'll update this product review (and name the exact product and Canadian price) when the product is gone. If it's something you shouldn't waste your money on, I'll be sure and let you know.