Thursday, April 3, 2008

High Tech Downgrade

Some of you have already taken the poll about going digital, in the sidebar. I thought it interesting the results so far, showing the most common digital toys are ones that I have too, with the cell phone and digital camera leading the race.

Increasingly over the last several years however, I have experienced a sort of high tech Left Behind phenom when it comes to internet. While more and more websites are being written to accomodate high speed internet, there are just more and more sites I cannot visit. Oh, I can... but I'll be sitting there letting the page/application load for hours, if I really want to see what the page has to offer. It has to be really good, and really really worth my time, to let something like that load.

When we moved from the city to the country we gave up cable internet and went back to dial up service. It wasn't so bad at first, but this was six years ago and six years in tech advances might as well be 100 years. Things have changed a lot in six years.

I've tried all sorts of things from free accelerators, download managers, and various other tips and tricks to navigating the web a little quicker, but the bottom line is simply that the web is no longer dial up friendly. Its even difficult to load some of my own sites, for this very reason. Overall, what this has meant is that I spend much less time on the 'net, than I ever did before (and this has been a good thing, actually).

You know the old adage 'when life hands you lemons, make lemonade'? Well, I've got some really great lemonade!

Due to all of this, I've decided I'm going to begin downgrading once again. I do this from time to time in various ways like pruning my blog subscriptions (less blogs to read equals less wait time, less wasted time), and setting specific time limits for actual online activity. The downside to this is that there are blogs & sites out there that I really like, but they're so graphics rich, that I can't load them, use them, or benefit from them anymore. There are times when I've tried, and even waited longer for the comment option to come up, just to have the screen flip me right over to the error page. It's discouraging but that's just the way it works.

At one time I had several blogs going at once, and contributed to a few others - but I gave that up too. I no longer contribute to other group blogs, and I only have two blogs now that I maintain - this one and the book blog that is updated monthly with great resources for Christian living. I do most of my writing at night (offline) and all my graphic work for the store at night as well, and offline also.

One of the downgrades that I'm planning is redesigning this blog to include less graphics. The more graphics a page has, the slower it loads (for me) and the more wasted time I watch s l o w l y ticking by. I don't have time to waste like that, so that change will be coming very soon.

Besides, it's Spring, and time for a new look anyway.
:-)